Lewis Brisbois is one of the premier defense firms in the healthcare field. Our Healthcare Practice now numbers in excess of 100 attorneys nationwide. We are one of the largest firms in the United States in this practice area. We have some of the most experienced and well-respected trial attorneys in the nation, many of whom are members and have served as officers in such organizations as The American Board of Trial Advocates, American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and American Inns of Court. Our litigators include a number of former healthcare practitioners who have a special understanding of the circumstances facing their colleagues when confronted with malpractice and licensing litigation. Our litigation team includes a pharmacist licensed in California and Nevada, a nuclear medicine technologist, nurses, law school faculty members, medical school instructors, and writers and lecturers in a wide variety of medical issues.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Department regularly represent healthcare providers in administrative law hearings regarding licensing issues. Representative clients include professionals from Longs Drug Stores, Raley’s, Thrifty and Payless Drug Stores, Sierra Pharmacy, and numerous physicians and mental health counselors.
The firm’s Healthcare Department has been active in the defense of numerous mental healthcare providers, including cases of sexual misconduct, recovered memory, and dual relationships.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Department also represent a number of health care facilities including acute care hospitals, convalescent and skilled nursing care facilities, free standing clinics, and surgery centers. Our experience has been with a wide range of issues including nursing care/nursing assessment, chain of command, emergency department care, intensive and critical care units, operating room, labor and delivery informed consent, slip and fall and other general personal injury liability, premise liability and security and safety issues, staff privileging issues (ELAM), Medical Staff Bylaws, transfer of patients to other facilities (The federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act and state law), and medical records.
The Department has defended the Regents of the University of San Diego and the County of Los Angeles in AIDS/blood bank contamination matters. We have successfully defended facilities in cases involving Alpha Fetaprotein, Hepatitis, and venereal disease testing.
The firm has represented numerous medical laboratories in failure to diagnose, inadequate testing, and genetic testing cases. These cases involve erroneous reports of sexually transmitted diseases, misinterpretation of tests, failure to perform genetics testing, and drug testing issues.
Related Legal Alerts
- November 13, 2018 Bryan Reid Sworn in as CAL-ABOTA President
- September 17, 2018 Jennifer Yuen to speak at Big Nasty Claims Conference in New York
- September 12, 2018 George Nowotny Named ABOTA Advocate, elected to Medical Legal Committee
- May 21, 2018 Sharon Peters Discusses the NPDB on Podcast
- February 06, 2018 George Nowotny Verdict Featured in Daily Journal
- May 18, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Team Published by Law360
Related Webinars & Seminars
- December 07, 2018 2018 in review – Inter Partes Review Developments, Part 1 of 2
- December 05, 2018 Welcome to Lewis Brisbois’ IP & Technology Law Blog
- November 12, 2018 Lack of Code Diversity in Cryptocurrency Ethereum May be Propagating Bad Code
- December 10, 2018 Ellen Greiper Article on Diversity in Construction Published by DRI
- December 07, 2018 Jon Olafson Appointed to Colorado Bar Board of Governors
- December 07, 2018 Tripp Lake Presents on Smart Contracts at Chinese IP Forum
Webinars & Seminars
- December 20, 2018 • General Webinar Series Upcoming Webinar: The Top Ten Ethical Traps, Tips, and Temptations for Industry, Inside, and Outside Counsel
- January 17, 2019 • General Webinar Series Risk Transfer & AI Endorsements
- February 21, 2019 • General Webinar Series The Opioid Epidemic, Health Care & Insurance Issues