Lewis Brisbois is a premier defense firm in the healthcare and medical malpractice field. Our healthcare team comprises more than 200 lawyers, making us one of the largest dedicated practices in the nation. Many of our experienced and well-respected trial attorneys are members of and current and former officers in such organizations as the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and American Inns of Court.
Our litigators include healthcare practitioners who bring a special understanding of their colleagues’ circumstances when confronted with malpractice and licensing litigation. Our litigation team includes
- multiple pharmacists,
- a therapist in diverse mental health settings,
- a nuclear medicine technologist,
- law school faculty members,
- medical school instructors, and
- writers and lecturers in a wide variety of medical issues.
We regularly represent healthcare providers in administrative law hearings regarding licensing issues. Representative clients include Longs Drug Stores, Raley’s, Thrifty and Payless Drug Stores, Sierra Pharmacy and numerous physicians and mental health counselors.
Our lawyers defend numerous mental healthcare providers involving cases of sexual misconduct, recovered memory and dual relationships.
Our team also represents health care facilities, including acute care hospitals, convalescent and skilled nursing care facilities, free-standing clinics and surgery centers. Our experience encompasses a wide range of issues, including care/nursing assessment, chain of command, emergency department care, intensive and critical care units, operating room, labor and delivery informed consent, slip and fall and other general personal injury liability, premise liability and security and safety issues, staff privileging issues (Elam), and Medical Staff Bylaws, transfer of patients to other facilities (the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act “EMLATA” and relevant state law) and medical records matters.
Our lawyers have defended the Regents of the University of San Diego and the County of Los Angeles in AIDS/blood bank contamination matters. We have successfully advised facilities in cases involving Alpha Fetaprotein, Hepatitis and venereal disease testing.
We have assisted numerous medical laboratories in failure to diagnose, inadequate testing and genetic testing cases. These cases involve erroneous reports of sexually transmitted diseases, misinterpretation of tests, failure to perform genetics testing and drug testing issues.
- February 21, 2024 Gregg Clifton to Present on Emerging Issues in Sports Law at SBA Spring Training Game & CLE Luncheon
- February 16, 2024 Francis Pileggi Speaks To Law360 About Retirement Of Delaware Court of Chancery Jurist
- February 16, 2024 Lewis Brisbois to Present Webinar on Understanding the Promise & Legal Perils Related to AI
Seminars & Webinars
- March 21, 2024 • General Webinar Series Risk Transfer
- April 18, 2024 • General Webinar Series Ethics I: Trouble with Clients? How to Deal Practically & Ethically
- May 16, 2024 • General Webinar Series Workers’ Compensation: Recent Trends