Lewis Brisbois is a premier defense firm in the healthcare and medical malpractice field. Our healthcare team comprises more than 200 lawyers, making us one of the largest dedicated practices in the nation. Many of our experienced and well-respected trial attorneys are members of and current and former officers in such organizations as the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and American Inns of Court.
Our litigators include healthcare practitioners who bring a special understanding of their colleagues’ circumstances when confronted with malpractice and licensing litigation. Our litigation team includes
- multiple pharmacists,
- a therapist in diverse mental health settings,
- a nuclear medicine technologist,
- law school faculty members,
- medical school instructors, and
- writers and lecturers in a wide variety of medical issues.
We regularly represent healthcare providers in administrative law hearings regarding licensing issues. Representative clients include Longs Drug Stores, Raley’s, Thrifty and Payless Drug Stores, Sierra Pharmacy and numerous physicians and mental health counselors.
Our lawyers defend numerous mental healthcare providers involving cases of sexual misconduct, recovered memory and dual relationships.
Our team also represents health care facilities, including acute care hospitals, convalescent and skilled nursing care facilities, free-standing clinics and surgery centers. Our experience encompasses a wide range of issues, including care/nursing assessment, chain of command, emergency department care, intensive and critical care units, operating room, labor and delivery informed consent, slip and fall and other general personal injury liability, premise liability and security and safety issues, staff privileging issues (Elam), and Medical Staff Bylaws, transfer of patients to other facilities (the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act “EMLATA” and relevant state law) and medical records matters.
Our lawyers have defended the Regents of the University of San Diego and the County of Los Angeles in AIDS/blood bank contamination matters. We have successfully advised facilities in cases involving Alpha Fetaprotein, Hepatitis and venereal disease testing.
We have assisted numerous medical laboratories in failure to diagnose, inadequate testing and genetic testing cases. These cases involve erroneous reports of sexually transmitted diseases, misinterpretation of tests, failure to perform genetics testing and drug testing issues.
- September 20, 2023 Changing Gear: The Third Circuit Adopts A Multi-Factor Test for Determining When Donning/Doffing Are Compensable Under the FLSA
- September 14, 2023 UPDATE: Student-Athletes’ Newest Effort to Unionize – Dartmouth Men’s Basketball’s Petition to the NLRB
- August 31, 2023 DOL Proposes Overhaul of Salary Thresholds for Exempt Employees
- September 29, 2023 Entertainment Team Represents Country Singer-Songwriter Matt Schuster in Warner Music Nashville Deal
- September 28, 2023 Rafael Zahralddin to Join Forensic Panel at ABI Cross-Border Insolvency Program
- September 27, 2023 Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Team to Present DANY CLE Seminar
Seminars & Webinars
- October 19, 2023 • General Webinar Series Defending Telehealth and Behavioral Healthcare Professionals
- November 16, 2023 • General Webinar Series Murky Copyright Issues For AI
- December 21, 2023 • General Webinar Series Ethics II: Social Media