- Email: Andrea.Maestas@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 602.385.7833
- Fax: 619.233.8627
Andrea M. Maestas is an associate in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Healthcare, Medical Malpractice, and General Liability Practices. Andrea has over a decade of experience representing hospitals, medical groups, nurses, and physicians in a wide range of specialties against negligence and related claims throughout California and New York. For medical malpractice and personal injury matters, she typically handles complex and catastrophic cases, including adult and pediatric neurological deficits, severe orthopedic injuries, paraplegia, and death. In addition to medical malpractice, Andrea represents insureds in automobile claims; long-term care facilities against elder abuse, negligence, and premises liability claims; and medical facilities in employment discrimination and harassment disputes.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Andrea focused primarily on medical malpractice litigation, but she also has experience representing healthcare facilities in premises liability, employment discrimination, medical staff peer review proceedings, and administrative hearings concerning New York Family Healthcare Decisions Act, mental hygiene matters, and nursing home discharge appeals. She has drafted several substantive motions including in limine motions for trial, post-trial motions, summary judgment, and pre-answer dismissal motions. She has Second Chair trial experience and extensive experience in settlement negotiations, mediations, and arbitrations. She has also mentored young associates through all phases of pre-trial workup of medical malpractice and general liability matters.
Prior to law school, Andrea worked in the medical field in Arizona and Nevada where she developed a love of medicine that grew into a strong desire to defend healthcare professionals. During law school, she interned for the Honorable Steven R. Denton (Ret.) with the San Diego Superior Court, served as Chief Articles Editor of the TJSL Law Review, and competed in national moot court competitions with the TJSL Moot Court Honor Society.
- Volunteer Presiding Judge and Mentor Attorney, San Diego Teen Court
- Volunteer Judge, Appellate Moot Court Honor Society, University of San Diego School of Law
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of California United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- The Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Member
- San Diego County Bar Association, Law and Medicine Section
- San Diego Defense Lawyers Association
- San Diego Association of Healthcare Risk Managers
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
- “Ones to Watch,” Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, Best Lawyers, 2021
- CALI Award in Excellence – Health Care Liability
- Chief Articles Editor and Lead Articles Editor, TJSL Law Review
- Note, Balance Billing: The Ban on Unfair Billing Practices Increases Tension Between Cost Control and Quality Care, 31 T. Jefferson L. Rev. 393 (2009)
- Vice Chair of Executive Board, TJSL Moot Court Honors Society
- The California Academy of Appellate Lawyers Award for Best Brief, First Place
- Excellence in Appellate Advocacy: Bernard E. Witkin Award, Second Place
- Individual Achievement in Oral Argument
- Quarterfinalist, Chicago Bar Association Moot Court Competition
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, 2010
University of Arizona
Bachelor of Arts in Classics, 2005
- Secured dismissal of a hospitalist on summary judgment in a San Diego Superior Court wrongful death case where plaintiff alleged failure to timely diagnose pulmonary embolism.
- Defended a hospital and a cardio-thoracic surgeon in a medical negligence case where plaintiff alleged failure to properly perform repair of ascending aortic dissection resulting in paralysis.
- Conducted key depositions and argued dispositive motion in defense of a hospital and treating neurologists in a medical negligence case where plaintiff alleged failure to timely treat an acute stroke resulting in lower extremity paralysis and dysphasia.
- Provided trial support to secure a defense verdict with costs awarded in a three-week trial in San Diego Superior Court in a slip-and-fall case where plaintiff alleged traumatic brain injury and orthopedic injuries after fall down flight of stairs.
- Assisted to secure a defense verdict for a large hospital system in a trip-and-fall case where plaintiff alleged orthopedic injuries sustained after a fall on an uneven sidewalk.