- Email: Jennifer.Yuen@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1406
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Jennifer is a Partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois. She has been selected by Super Lawyers for her work in Medical Malpractice and Product Liability Litigation.
She represents individual and institutional clients in complex, high exposure claims in the areas of medical malpractice, construction (Labor Law 200, 240, 241(6) actions), product liability, toxic torts, premises liability, and general liability, involving serious and catastrophic injuries (including trauma, spinal injuries, paralysis, anoxic and traumatic brain injury, loss of limb, disfigurement, chronic debilitating illness, and fatality) and significant damages. She counsels clients pre-suit through trial.
Jennifer manages a medical malpractice defense team in the firm's NYC office, and represents one of the nation's largest physician-led physician management companies (and its employed physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners) specializing in emergency, hospitalist, and acute, urgent, and critical care medicine and services.
She has served as lead defense and trial counsel on high-profile cases arising from pathogenic bacteria disease outbreaks (including the largest Legionnaires Disease Outbreak in NY), addiction and death related to the use of prescription opioids (In Re: Opioid Litigation in NY), environmental contamination (occupational and residential lead exposure; and petroleum / ethanol soil and groundwater pollution), foodborne illness (listeriosis and listeria meningitis), medical malpractice, fires, explosions, defective products, and large scale construction accidents.
She also has particular expertise handling multi-district litigations, mass torts, large scale governmental investigations, and federal and state regulatory/compliance matters involving the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), New York State and New York City Departments of Health, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
An experienced litigator in federal and state courts, she has represented domestic and foreign, private and public sector clients, including:
- Physicians, psychiatrists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, dentists, and pharmacists
- Hospitals, outpatient facilities, health care systems, physician management companies, nursing & assisted living facilities, and long-term care providers
- Food Service Providers
- Hotel Chains and Resorts
- Supermarket and Pharmacy Store Chains
- Sports, Entertainment & Performance Venues/Stadiums
- Facilities Management Companies
- HVAC & Plumbing Companies
- Construction Firms, Managers and Contractors
- Commercial and Residential Property Owners
- Manufacturers of Pharmaceutical, Medical, Construction, Consumer, and Industrial Products
- Consumer Product Retailers and Franchises
- Major Transportation Authorities, Airlines, and Municipalities
- Commercial and Residential Restoration Service Providers
- Oil, Gas and Energy Companies
- Insurance Companies
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Jennifer was an attorney at two prominent New York law firms, where she defended healthcare professionals and product manufacturers in complex litigation. She also served as Law Clerk to The Honorable Alexander W. Hunter, Jr., Appellate Term Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Twelfth Judicial District, First Department. Before beginning her legal career, she worked as a patient liaison and interpreter at two major New York City hospitals. Jennifer is also a licensed New York State Real Estate Broker.
Jennifer is committed to staying knowledgeable of advancements and evolving regulations impacting healthcare, product, and workplace liability and safety, and regularly presents educational and risk management programs. She values building strong relationships with her clients by providing them with aggressive, effective, creative, and efficient legal representation, and close attention and advice.
Jennifer speaks Chinese (Cantonese) and Spanish.
- Stolowski v. 234th East 178th Street and The City of New York (Bronx County Supreme Court trial arising from the “Black Sunday” tragedy involving six New York City Firefighters)
- In Re: Steam Pipe Explosion at 41st Street and Lexington Avenue (New York County Supreme Court mass tort action arising from 200+ personal injury and property damage claims related to the 2007 Con Edison steam pipe explosion in New York City)
- Summary judgment victory on behalf of prominent New York City hospital and attending psychiatrist (Kings County Supreme Court medical malpractice action involving death of the patient due to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome arising from alleged negligent psychotropic medication management, diagnosis, and monitoring of the patient)
- In re: Fleet Phosphosoda® Multi-District Litigation (500 + pharmaceutical product liability claims)
In re: Opioid Litigation, New York (Mass tort litigation alleging deceptive acts and practices, false advertising, public nuisance, fraud, unjust enrichment, and violations of law arising from alleged negligent manufacturing, promotion, distribution and sales of opioids contributing to the opioid epidemic)
- Bausch & Lomb Contact Lens Solution (Renu with MoistureLoc®) Multi-District Litigation (500 + pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Levaquin® Litigation (U.S. District Courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Legionnaires Disease Outbreak Litigation (Bronx Supreme Court mass tort contamination claims arising from 2015 South Bronx Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak)
- Listeria Outbreak Litigation (New York state and federal court actions arising from alleged deaths and foodborne illness related to listeria monocytogenes ingestion)
- Lead and Silica Litigation (New York state occupational disease and toxic exposure claims)
Gaona-Garcia v. Gould (Decision and Order), 2011 NY Slip Op 51028(U), New York Law Journal June 15, 2011 (Decided on May 23, 2011 Supreme Court, Bronx County Alexander Hunter Jr., J.).
- Limited Justice: A Call for the New York State Legislature to Implement Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations in Civil Cases Involving Childhood Sexual Abuse (Westchester Bar Journal 2007).
- Law Practice Management, Co-editor (Gary A. Munneke/Thomson West. 3d ed. 2007).
- New York State Real Estate Broker
- OSHA-10 (U.S. Department of Labor - Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
- MTA NYC Transit Track Safety Certification
- Metro-North Railroad Runway Worker Procedures
- Roadway Worker Protection Training (required by 49 CFR Part 214 Subpart C)
- New York State Notary Public
- Lecture Series on Risk Management and Medical Malpractice Litigation to Emergency Medicine Physicians and Medical Residents at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 2019–Present
- Big Nasty Claims Conference held at New York Law School – Loss Issues & Trends: Setting the Stage – The increasing frequency, severity, and complexity of mass torts, multidistrict litigation, and class actions; and the keys to success in managing these claims. (Panelist), September 2018
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Construction/Labor Law/General Liability Litigation, 2014
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Medical Malpractice Litigation, 2014
- CLE – Electronic Discovery and Best Practices, 2012
State Bar Admissions
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
United States District Court, Southern DIstrict of New York
- The Association for Healthcare Risk Management of New York (AHRMNY)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association (Committees: Health Law, Construction Law, Tort Law Section)
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
- Selected to Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars List – Medical Malpractice Defense Litigation (2018)
- Selected to Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars List – Product Liability Defense Litigation (2017)
Pace University School of Law
Columbia College of Columbia University in The City of New York
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Economics