- Email: Angeline.Ioannou@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 860.566.8046
- Fax: 860.748.4857
Angeline N. Ioannou is the managing partner of Lewis Brisbois' Hartford office and a member of the Healthcare and General Liability Practices. She has more than 20 years of litigation experience and splits her practice between handling healthcare matters and defending complex tort and commercial liability claims involving wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. She has tried five cases to verdict and conducted more than 100 matters in binding arbitration and mediation.
Angie has an extensive background defending professional malpractice claims on behalf of nursing homes, physicians, and nurses. She frequently writes and lectures on long-term care issues, and is an active member of multiple professional organizations related to healthcare law, such as the Connecticut Assisted Living Association.
Angie has been very active with the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Medical Liability and Health Law Committee and served a two-year stint as the Co-Chair of publications, where she was responsible for selecting authors and editing submissions published in DRI’s MedLaw Update and the dedicated health care issue of For the Defense. She also was the Program Chair for DRI’s 2016 Nursing Home and Assisted Living Litigation Seminar.
In addition to her healthcare practice, Angie has handled general liability matters for healthcare facilities, national restaurant and retail companies, and Connecticut-based businesses. These matters have involved claims of premises liability, contractual and common law indemnification, Dram Shop Liability, and breach of contract. She also represents various parties in litigation concerning complex motor vehicle accidents involving catastrophic injury and wrongful death.
- Co-Author, “Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injury: An Historical Perspective ,” DRI The Voice, March 18, 2015
- Co-Author, “A Pediatric Physician’s Approach to Evaluation of Claims Citing the Failure to Diagnose Group B Streptococcal Meningitis (GBS) in Children,” Defense Research Institute Medlaw Update, December 31, 2013
- Co-Author, “Danger From Within? Sex Offenders in Long-Term Care Facilities,” For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, August 2013
- Author, “Is the ‘Old Boys Club’ Alive and Well in 2013? Despite Efforts, Female Attorneys Succeed in Disproportionate Numbers,” DRI Today, May 31, 2013
- Presenter, “Don’t be a Fool for a Client: Avoid the Ethical Pitfalls Presented to Caregivers with a Family Member Residing in Your Client’s Facility” DRI Nursing Home/ALF Litigation Seminar, New Orleans, LA September 13-14, 2019
- Presenter/ Moderator, “Shifting the Risk: How to Properly Draft Enforceable Indemnification and Limitations of Liability Clauses” CLM Annual Conference, Orlando, FL March 15, 2018.
- Presenter, “Thirst for Truth – Managing Dehydration Claims," Second Annual Long Term Care Insurance ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT., June 26, 2018
- Panelist, “Hard to Say I’m Sorry; Risks and Benefits of Admitting Negligence in Medical Malpractice Cases,” Defense Research Institute, Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 5, 2017
- Program Chair, DRI Nursing Home/ALF Litigation Seminar, Scottsdale, AZ, September 8-9, 2016
- Panelist, "Finding Your Voice: Fitting into the Paradigm of 'Not Too Aggressive, Not Too Weak' when Communicating with Clients and Interacting Within Your Organization," ACI Women Leaders in Healthcare Law, Washington, D.C., September 28, 2015
- Panelist, “Recognizing and Creating a Framework to Manage Sexual Issues in the Nursing Home Setting,” American Conference Institute’s 4th Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation, Miami, Florida, January 29, 2014
State Bar Admissions
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Court
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Defense Research Institute: Member of the Diversity Committee and the Medical Liability and Health Law Committee (Program Chair, 2016 Nursing Home and Assisted Living Litigation Seminar, former Co-Chair of publications)
- Connecticut Assisted Living Association (CALA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Widener University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1996
Sacred Heart University
Bachelor of Science, 1991