- Email: Joelle.Nelson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.742.6712
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Joelle Nelson is a partner in the Houston office of Lewis Brisbois and Vice-Chair of the National General Liability Practice. She has successfully handled a wide variety of claims ranging from construction defect; to premises liability claims on behalf of small businesses to large national retailers in both state and federal court; 18-wheeler, bus, TNC, and dram shop accidents; hospitality litigation regarding both premises and food safety issues; crane and oil rig collapses; as well as environmental clean-up litigation, including all phases. Ms. Nelson strives to empower clients by providing a steadfast commitment to each case, offering straightforward strategies to guide clients through the legal process, engaging in diligent preparation, while also recognizing and taking advantage of opportunities.
Ms. Nelson was the briefing attorney for Justice John S. Anderson, with the Fourteenth District Court of Appeals. She drafted several, often complex, civil and criminal appellate opinions.
- “Traps Along the Road to Future Medical Care Awards." Joelle Kenney, April 8, 2002, TEXAS LAWYER, VOL. 18, pg. 30
- "CORPORATE GEMS: The Corporate Practice of Medicine." Joelle Kenney, July 21-23, 2002, TTLA Advances Personal Injury Law Course 2002, Houston, Texas
- "Medical Malpractice: Recent Developments from the Plaintiff's Perspective." Joelle Kenney, March 6, 2003, South Texas College of Law, Personal Injury Law Conference 2003, Houston, Texas
- “Health Care Liability: Experts.” Joelle Kenney, August 14, 2003, University of Houston Law Center, Tort Reform and Insurance Law: 2003 Legislative Update.
As a briefing attorney for the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Ms. Nelson drafted the dissent in Lawrence v. State, 41 S.W.3d 349 (Tex. App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2001, pet ref’d), cert. granted, 531 U.S. 1004, and judgment reversed, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), elements of which were later adopted by the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Nelson is also a participant and Co-Chair of the Chevron Houston Marathon “Hero” Program benefiting The Parish School, which is a non-profit school specializing in intervention for children with neurological differences.
Ms. Nelson is married to Christopher Nelson and they have a daughter, Jocelyn Grace. Together, Joelle and her family support local Houston schools specializing in children with neurological differences.
"First and Third Party Claims Litigation.” Joelle Nelson, CLE, August 2015.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Bankruptcy Division
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States of America
- The Harris County Bar Association
- The Fort Bend County Bar Association
- The Women Contractors Association
- Texas State Bar Oil, Gas, Energy Resource Division
- Texas State Bar, Construction Division
- Texas State Bar, Litigation Division
Awards & Honors
In 2011, 2012, and 2013 Ms. Nelson was named a Texas Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” which recognizes the top up-and-coming attorneys in the state. Compiled through peer nomination and research, only two percent of attorneys in Texas, under 40 years-old, receive this distinction.
South Texas College of Law
University of Southern Maine
Bachelor of Science