- Email: Joelle.Nelson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.742.6712
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Joelle Nelson is a partner in the Houston and Dallas offices of Lewis Brisbois and Co-Chair of the National General Liability Practice and Vice-Chair of the Transportation Practice. She has successfully handled a wide variety of claims related to transportation, which includes bus, trucking, TNC, and dram shop related accidents; catastrophic injury; construction and construction defect claims; products liability defenses ranging from horizontal auger boring machines to common household products; premises liability claims on behalf of small businesses to large national retailers; hospitality litigation regarding both premises and food safety matters; oil and gas; as well as environmental and environmental clean-up litigation, which includes all phases. Ms. Nelson empowers her clients with a steadfast commitment to each and every case, offers straightforward strategies that provides guidance through the legal process, and engages in diligent preparation, while recognizing and taking advantage of any and all opportunities that arise.
Ms. Nelson was the briefing attorney for Justice John S. Anderson, with the Fourteenth District Court of Appeals. She drafted several, often complex, civil and criminal appellate opinions.
- “Traps Along the Road to Future Medical Care Awards." Joelle Kenney, April 8, 2002, TEXAS LAWYER, VOL. 18, pg. 30
- "CORPORATE GEMS: The Corporate Practice of Medicine." Joelle Kenney, July 21-23, 2002, TTLA Advances Personal Injury Law Course 2002, Houston, Texas
- "Medical Malpractice: Recent Developments from the Plaintiff's Perspective." Joelle Kenney, March 6, 2003, South Texas College of Law, Personal Injury Law Conference 2003, Houston, Texas
- “Health Care Liability: Experts.” Joelle Kenney, August 14, 2003, University of Houston Law Center, Tort Reform and Insurance Law: 2003 Legislative Update.
As a briefing attorney for the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Ms. Nelson drafted the dissent in Lawrence v. State, 41 S.W.3d 349 (Tex. App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2001, pet ref’d), cert. granted, 531 U.S. 1004, and judgment reversed, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), elements of which were later adopted by the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Nelson is also a participant and Co-Chair of the Chevron Houston Marathon “Hero” Program benefiting The Parish School, which is a non-profit school specializing in intervention for children with neurological differences.
Ms. Nelson is married to Christopher Nelson and they have a daughter, Jocelyn Grace. Together, Joelle and her family support local Houston schools specializing in children with neurological differences.
- "Scott Pilgrim v. The World: Preemption Roadmap to Defeating AB5 Classification." Joelle Nelson, CLE, April 2023
- "Transportation." Joelle Nelson, March 2023
- "Don't Tread on Me: How to Keep Your Constitution During Corporate Representative Depositions." Joelle Nelson, CLE, May 2022
- "How to Turn Irritating Settlement Negotiations into a Successful Mediation." Joelle Nelson, CLE, January 2021
- The “3 in 1” on Texas Construction Law. Joelle Nelson, CLE, August 2021
- "First and Third Party Claims Litigation.” Joelle Nelson, CLE, August 2015
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Bankruptcy Division
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States of America
- The Harris County Bar Association
- The Fort Bend County Bar Association
- The Women Contractors Association
- Texas State Bar Oil, Gas, Energy Resource Division
- Texas State Bar, Construction Division
- Texas State Bar, Litigation Division
Awards & Honors
In 2011, 2012, and 2013 Ms. Nelson was named a Texas Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” which recognizes the top up-and-coming attorneys in the state. Compiled through peer nomination and research, only two percent of attorneys in Texas, under 40 years-old, receive this distinction.
Ms. Nelson was listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2023 & 2024— Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
South Texas College of Law
University of Southern Maine
Bachelor of Science