- Email: Brad.Smith@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 601.499.8123
- Fax: 601.499.8121
Bradley W. Smith is a partner in the Jackson, Mississippi office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Firm's General Liability, Health Care, Medical Malpractice, Long-Term Care, and National Trial Practices. He is also a member of Lewis Brisbois’ 24/7 Rapid Response Team of transportation lawyers.
Brad concentrates his practice in litigation with significant experience in the defense of automotive, drug and medical device product liability, as well as mass tort environmental litigation and professional liability for attorneys, accountants, design professionals, physicians, hospitals, and long-term care facilities. His experience also includes class action, commercial and construction litigation.
Brad has tried to verdict product liability, professional liability, personal injury, and commercial cases in Mississippi state courts as well as in U.S. District Courts for both the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi.
- "Complex Torts Practice Group Brings Together the Firm's Top Tort Trial Lawyers," Trial Spotlight Newsletter (May 2020)
- "Civil Rules Committee Decides Companies Must Have Right to Choose 30(b)(6) Designees" (April 2019)
- Co-author – "Top 10 Ways to Avoid Litigation," McKnight's Long-Term Care News & Assisted Living (April 2014)
"Securing and Enforcing Arbitration Agreements in the Face of Emotional and Legal Roadblocks Specific to Long Term Care," ACI Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation Forum, Miami, FL (April 2011)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Defense Research Institute (Drug and Medical Device Committee)
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Member – American (Tort and Insurance Practice section), Mississippi (Health Law Section) and Capital Area Bar Associations
- Volunteer – Live Auction, Art for Heart (2010)
- Co-Chair – Live Auction Committee, Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi's Bacchus Ball (2009)
Awards & Honors
The Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation (since 2011);
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (since 2014);
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (since 2015); and
- Health Care Litigation (2022)
University of Mississippi School of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1994
- Assistant Editor, The Mississippi Law Journal
Bachelor of Arts, 1990
Healthcare, Medical Malpractice, and Long-Term Care
- Served as lead counsel in federal court in a nursing home neglect case in which the plaintiff alleged that the staff's negligent care caused injuries and death of a resident. Obtained a defense verdict after a five-day trial. Plaintiff originally requested $1.25 million in compensatory damages.
- Obtained multiple jury verdicts in favor of a nursing home in dehydration wrongful death suit.
- Served as lead counsel for defense of 43 nursing home personal injury cases.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of an OBGYN in suit alleging medical negligence.
- Served as lead counsel for the largest medical malpractice carrier in State of Mississippi.
- Prevailed with jury verdicts in favor of a nursing home in abuse and neglect suit.
- Secured jury verdicts in favor of a nursing home in Stage IV pressure wound wrongful death suit.
- Served as lead counsel for numerous pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in product liability cases.
- Secured a jury verdict in favor of a pediatric cardiovascular surgeon in suit alleging medical negligence.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a radiologist in suit alleging medical negligence.
General Liability and Transportation
- Secured a jury verdict in favor of Ford Motor Company in a federal jury trial in Mississippi against allegations of a manufacturing defect following a car accident involving a Mississippi Highway Patrol trooper.
- Obtained jury verdicts in favor of an automobile manufacturer in suits alleging defective design for handling and stability.
- Coordinated defense of over 340 automotive product liability lawsuits in Mississippi for automobile manufacturers.
- Obtained jury verdicts in favor of an automobile manufacturer in suits alleging defective occupant restraint systems.
- Advised an automobile manufacturer and secured jury verdicts in suits alleging defective door latch.
- Served as lead trial counsel for premises liability defense for a national restaurant chain.
- Reached a jury verdict in favor of a roofing products manufacturer in suit alleging defective warnings and design.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a national restaurant chain in premise liability shooting suit.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer and obtained jury verdicts in suits alleging defective fuel system.
- Secured a jury verdict in favor of a contractor for highway maintenance in wrongful death suit.
- Reached a successful jury verdict in favor of a construction company in suit alleging negligent work.