- Email: Paul.Kuhnel@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 540.283.0130
- Fax: 540.283.0044
Paul C. Kuhnel is a partner in the Roanoke office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Medical Malpractice Department.
Mr. Kuhnel is a seasoned trial attorney with considerable first chair jury experience. He has been involved in numerous reported verdicts in various venues in complex commercial, personal injury, and managed care litigation. Mr. Kuhnel’s professional liability practice includes the defense of healthcare providers, architects, accountants, and engineers, and his commercial practice focuses on an array of contract, trade secret, FDCPA and class action claims, representing both individuals and corporations in commercial. Mr. Kuhnel also has experience in first party insurance coverage matters, including a significant case that reached the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
He has served as President of the Virginia Chapter of ABOTA and has been selected to the Super Lawyers list for Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice. Mr. Kuhnel received his undergraduate degree, with honors, from the College of William & Mary, and his law degree from Washington & Lee University School of Law. He is licensed to practice law in Virginia and West Virginia, and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Mr. Kuhnel regularly lectures on ethics as a member of the VSB Professionalism Course Faculty and has authored numerous articles, including co-authoring the 1st chapter of the VA CLE Volume, Insurance Law.
State Bar Admissions
- West Virginia
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Supreme Court of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
Awards & Honors
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2023 & 2024
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2013–2019, 2021, and 2022
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer honoree in Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice, 2009–2018
- Recognized as a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting Group, Wellesley, Mass., 2014
- Recognized as a “Top Rated Lawyer” in Transportation Law by American Lawyer magazine, Corporate Counsel magazine and the National Law Journal, 2013
Washington & Lee University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1987
College of William & Mary
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, with honors, 1984