While Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964—the federal law prohibiting discrimination by private employers—does not expressly include sexual orientation or gender identity as protected classes, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), consistent with U.S. Supreme Court case law, has taken the position that Title VII's prohibition of sex discrimination forbids employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation, protections which apply regardless of any contrary laws.Read more »
- February 14, 2020 Trademark Update: New USPTO Rules Include Widely Criticized Applicant Email Requirements
- February 13, 2020 Coronavirus – Employers, Be Smart! Be Prepared!
- January 06, 2020 Tax Return Theft: Tips for Prevention and Response
- December 02, 2019 ‘Tis The Season: Online Shopping Tips
- November 18, 2019 Tax Considerations for Holiday Gifts to Employees
- November 05, 2019 Equal Pay and Barbie Dolls
- October 25, 2019 Amendments to the California Consumer Privacy Act Signed Into Law
- October 17, 2019 I Can’t Get Sued for Posting a Picture of Myself on Social Media… Can I?
- September 09, 2019 Ransomware Attack Trends: Tips for Prevention & Response
9th circuit affordable care act agreements alcohol appellate brexit business california ccpa cobra colorado compensation compliance confidentiality credit check criminal background checks dallas data security department of labor discrimination dress code employee handbook employee misconduct employee rights employee safety employers employment employment agreements employment application employment law equal pay equal pay act eu exempt employee exemptions fair employment and housing act family care fcra feha firing first amendment florida flsa free speech fringe benefits gifts hacking hairstyle health coverage health insurance hiring holiday season human resources inclement weather information security information technology labor and employment labor law lay off marijuana medical leave medical loss ratio medical marijuana minimum wage multi-jurisdiction new jersey new york non-competition non-solicitation nyc overtime payroll petition premium rebate reasonable accommodation policy reduction in force regulations resolutions risk & compliance salary history inquiry seasonal workers senior care settlements sexual harassment social media strikes supreme court technology termination tip credit tipped employees title vii trade secrets wages washington white collar workplace policy work policy writ zero tolerance