- Email: Jessica.Beckwith@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 602.385.1035
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Jessica Beckwith is a partner in the Los Angeles and Phoenix offices of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability and Real Estate & Environmental Practices. Ms. Beckwith’s practice is focused on attorney regulation and ethics as well as environmental law.
Ms. Beckwith’s experience in attorney regulation and ethics includes advising attorneys and law firms on matters relating to bar charges in Arizona and State Bar complaints in California, as well as fee disputes, disciplinary matters, disqualification issues, bar admissions, and other licensing, ethics, and professional responsibility issues. Ms. Beckwith regularly represents client from the inquiry stage through trial before the State Bar Court of California. Ms. Beckwith has also been retained as an expert witness in attorney ethics matters.
Prior to joining the Firm, she worked for over two years at the State Bar of California, Office of Chief Trial Counsel, as both Deputy and Acting Senior Trial Counsel, representing the State Bar of California and the Committee of Bar Examiners. In that role, she tried a number of cases before the State Bar Court of California. She also managed and directed State Bar investigators in conducting their investigations into disciplinary violations.
She also represents clients in environmental litigation and frequently advises clients on solid waste, wastewater, recycling, and recycled water contracts, ordinances, laws, and regulations. Ms. Beckwith also has extensive experience representing and counseling clients in a variety of administrative proceedings, government tort claims/notices of claims, and public records requests and litigation.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Notre Dame Club of Phoenix, 2009 - 2010; 2016 - Present
- Xavier College Preparatory Alumnae Board, 2018 - Present
- Notre Dame Club of Los Angeles, 2010 - 2016
- Young Professionals Council Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, 2013 - 2016
- Co-author, "Attorney Mental Health–Not to be Ignored" Maricopa Lawyer, August 2019
- Co-author, "Arizona Medical Marijuana Lawyers: How Privileged Are Their Communications with Clients?" Maricopa Lawyer, May 2019
- Co-author, “The New Rules of Professional Conduct,” Advocate, February 2019
- Author, "Client with Diminished Capacity–How Does an Attorney Know When ER 1.14 Applies?" Maricopa Lawyer, November 2018
- Author, “New rules on consultations with prospective clients,” Daily Journal, September 2018
- Author, "The (Possible?Future?) Intersection of Attorney Diligence Requirements of ER 1.1 and Blockchain Technology," Maricopa Lawyer, September 2018
- Author, "Ghostwriting–An Ethical Business Model Not Without Some Pitfalls for the Unwary," Maricopa Lawyer, July 2018.
- Author, “Online Legal Service Marketplaces: Improving Access to Justice? A Way for Non-Lawyers to Get a Piece of the Legal Market? Unethical Fee Splitting with Non-Lawyers?” Maricopa Lawyer, May 2018.
- Author, “Ethics in the Court of Public Opinion,” Maricopa Lawyer, April 2018.
- Author, “Practice of Law Not Immune from #MeToo Movement,” Maricopa Lawyer, March 2018.
- Author, "Attorney Succession Planning and Thinking About the Future,” Maricopa Lawyer, February 2018.
- Panelist, “Dealing with Difficult or Impaired Clients or Lawyers: What you need to do to protect yourself, the client, the lawyer and the Judicial System,” Arizona State Bar, May 22, 2019
- Speaker, "Social Media, Blog and Publication Liability…Oh My! (Ethics/Professional Responsibility),” Spring 2019 National Legal Malpractice Conference, American Bar Association, Miami, Florida, April 4, 2019
- Guest Speaker on the Podcast, “Lawyers Gone Ethical,” January 1, 2019
- Panelist, Legal Malpractice Seminar, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC), December 11, 2018
- Panelist, "The Impact of California’s New Rules of Professional Conduct, Particularly on Real Estate Practitioners," Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), December 4, 2018
- Panelist, “New and Revised Rules of Professional Conduct," Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) Annual Conference in Las Vegas, August 31, 2018
- Panelist, “Social Media and Ethics – Current Trends and Tips for Federal Practitioners,” Phoenix Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, May 17, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Legal Ethics & Social Media," Alameda County Bar Association, May 10, 2018
State Bar Admissions
- Association of Discipline Defense Counsel (California), 2014 - Present
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, 2015 - 2019
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Volunteer Attorney for State Bar Defense Consultations, 2017 - Present
- Maricopa County Bar Association, 2017 - Present
- Regular Contributing Writer on Ethics Matters, 2018 - Present
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2012 - 2016
- Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee, 2014 - 2016
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2009
University of Notre Dame
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, cum laude, 2006