- Email: Jessica.Beckwith@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5100 | 602.385.1035
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Jessica Beckwith is a Partner and a Firmwide Assistant General Counsel in the Los Angeles and Phoenix offices of Lewis Brisbois and vice chair of the Public Agency & Municipal Law Practice. Ms. Beckwith’s practice is focused on attorney regulation and ethics as well as public agency and municipal law.
Ms. Beckwith’s experience in attorney regulation and ethics includes advising attorneys and law firms on matters relating to bar charges in Arizona and State Bar complaints in California, as well as fee disputes, disciplinary matters, disqualification issues, bar admissions, and other licensing, ethics, and professional responsibility issues. Ms. Beckwith regularly represents clients from the inquiry stage through trial before the State Bar Court of California. Ms. Beckwith has also been retained as an expert witness in attorney ethics matters.
Prior to joining the Firm, she worked for over two years at the State Bar of California, Office of Chief Trial Counsel, as both Deputy and Acting Senior Trial Counsel, representing the State Bar of California and the Committee of Bar Examiners. In that role, she tried a number of cases before the State Bar Court of California. She also managed and directed State Bar investigators in conducting their investigations into disciplinary violations.
She also frequently advises clients on solid waste, wastewater, recycling, and recycled water contracts, ordinances, laws, and regulations. Ms. Beckwith also has extensive experience representing and counseling clients in a variety of administrative proceedings, local agency formation issues, government tort claims/notices of claims, and public records requests and litigation. She also regularly drafts business and property transactional documents for her clients including leases, easements, licenses, and Joint Powers Agreements. Ms. Beckwith is on a team of Lewis Brisbois attorneys that serve as outside General Counsel to the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts, a group of public agencies that together comprises one of the largest sanitation agencies in the United States. Ms. Beckwith has served on this team since January 2013. Ms. Beckwith is on a team of Lewis Brisbois attorneys that serve as outside General Counsel to the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District since September 2020.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Notre Dame Club of Phoenix, 2009 - 2010; 2016 - Present
- Xavier College Preparatory Alumnae Board, 2018 - Present
- Vice President, 2020 – 2021
- President, 2021-2022
- Notre Dame Club of Los Angeles, 2010 - 2016
- Young Professionals Council Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, 2013 - 2016
- Co-author, "Ethics opinions offer advice; some practical, some challenging," Daily Journal, March 5, 2021
- Author, "Some Silver Linings for the Legal Practice from the COVID-19 Pandemic," Maricopa Lawyer, February 2021
- Author, “COVID-19 & Reinventing the Legal Practice,” Maricopa Lawyer, November 2020
- Author, “Knowing Who Your Client Is—Sometimes Harder Than It Seems,” Maricopa Lawyer, August 2020
- Author, “Safeguarding Client Information in the Digital Age,” Maricopa Lawyer, May 2020
- Co-authored, "Ethical duties to clients remain paramount to other obligations for departing attorneys” LOS ANGELES DAILY JOURNAL, February 14, 2020
- Author, "New Year’s Resolution – Giving Up Scorched Earth Litigation Tactics," Maricopa Lawyer, February 2020
- Author, "Confidential vs. Privileged...Do You Know the Difference," Maricopa Lawyer, November 2019
- Co-author, "Attorney Mental Health–Not to be Ignored" Maricopa Lawyer, August 2019
- Co-author, "Arizona Medical Marijuana Lawyers: How Privileged Are Their Communications with Clients?" Maricopa Lawyer, May 2019
- Co-author, “The New Rules of Professional Conduct,” Advocate, February 2019
- Author, "Client with Diminished Capacity–How Does an Attorney Know When ER 1.14 Applies?" Maricopa Lawyer, November 2018
- Author, “New rules on consultations with prospective clients,” Daily Journal, September 2018
- Author, "The (Possible?Future?) Intersection of Attorney Diligence Requirements of ER 1.1 and Blockchain Technology," Maricopa Lawyer, September 2018
- Author, "Ghostwriting–An Ethical Business Model Not Without Some Pitfalls for the Unwary," Maricopa Lawyer, July 2018.
- Author, “Online Legal Service Marketplaces: Improving Access to Justice? A Way for Non-Lawyers to Get a Piece of the Legal Market? Unethical Fee Splitting with Non-Lawyers?” Maricopa Lawyer, May 2018.
- Author, “Ethics in the Court of Public Opinion,” Maricopa Lawyer, April 2018.
- Author, “Practice of Law Not Immune from #MeToo Movement,” Maricopa Lawyer, March 2018.
- Author, "Attorney Succession Planning and Thinking About the Future,” Maricopa Lawyer, February 2018.
- Presenter, "Social Media Ethics Rules," Davis Miles McGuire Gardner Women’s Initiative, University Club of Phoenix, March 29, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “Professional Ethical Pitfalls,” Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) Labor & Employment Law Symposium, March 15, 2022
- Presenter, Annual Liens Seminar, Arizona Association for Justice (AzAJ), March 2, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “Ethics Cafe: ER 1.16 - Declining or Terminating Representation,” State Bar of Arizona, March 1, 2022
- Panelist, “Ethics, Practice Management, and Trust Accounts: Inside the State Bar’s Three Helplines,” State Bar of Arizona, January 31, 2022
- Presenter, “NOAZ Chapter Membership Meeting and CLE Webinar — Dealing with Impaired Colleagues and Clients PLUS an Overview of the New Referral Fee Rule,” Arizona Women Lawyers Association, September 28, 2021
- Panelist, “Annual Ethics Game Show!” Arizona Bar Annual Convention, June 17, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Paralegal Ethics,” Maricopa County Bar Association – Paralegal Section, June 9, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Dealing with Difficult or Impaired Clients or Lawyers,” State Bar of Arizona, May 6, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Ethics Cafe: ER 1.9 - Duties to Former Clients,” State Bar of Arizona, May 4, 2021
- Presenter, “Navigating Arizona Ethical Rule 1.15,” The Arizona Association for Justice LIENS WEEK 2021, February 24, 2021
- Co-Presenter, “Wait, Wait… Don’t Lawyer Me,” State Bar of Arizona Convention 2020, December 1, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “Social Media and Ethics CLE,” Lawyers Mutual Insurance Co., July 30, 2020
- Co-Presenter, Ethics Webinar, State Bar of Arizona, June 18, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "The Future is Here – Understanding the Basics of Ethics in a Digital Age” CPCU Los Angeles Chapter, March 10, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "The Future is Here – Understanding the Basics of Ethics in a Digital Age” Lewis Brisbois Webinar, December 19, 2019
- Co-Presenter, "Tips for Ethically Protecting Your Clients, Yourself and the Rights of Third Parties,” Arizona Association for Justice The Trial Lawyers’ Annual Liens Seminar, Phoenix Convention Center, February 7, 2020.
- Co-Presenter, “State Bar of Arizona Construction Section’s Current Event and Legal Ethics CLE,” January 7, 2020
- Presenter, "10 Deadly Sins of Conflict," State Bar of Arizona, October 30, 2019
- Speaker, "Problem Clients: How to Handle Them and What to Do If the State Bar Gets Involved.” The Arbitration Section and Legal Ethics Committee, The Bar Association of San Francisco, October 23, 2019
- Panelist, “Dealing with Difficult or Impaired Clients or Lawyers: What you need to do to protect yourself, the client, the lawyer and the Judicial System,” Arizona State Bar, May 22, 2019
- Speaker, "Social Media, Blog and Publication Liability…Oh My! (Ethics/Professional Responsibility),” Spring 2019 National Legal Malpractice Conference, American Bar Association, Miami, Florida, April 4, 2019
- Guest Speaker on the Podcast, “Lawyers Gone Ethical,” January 1, 2019
- Panelist, Legal Malpractice Seminar, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC), December 11, 2018
- Panelist, "The Impact of California’s New Rules of Professional Conduct, Particularly on Real Estate Practitioners," Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), December 4, 2018
- Panelist, “New and Revised Rules of Professional Conduct," Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) Annual Conference in Las Vegas, August 31, 2018
- Panelist, “Social Media and Ethics – Current Trends and Tips for Federal Practitioners,” Phoenix Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, May 17, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Legal Ethics & Social Media," Alameda County Bar Association, May 10, 2018
State Bar Admissions
- State Bar of Arizona Ethics Advisory Group, 2020 - Present
- Association of Discipline Defense Counsel (California), 2014 - Present
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, 2015 - 2019
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Volunteer Attorney for State Bar Defense Consultations, 2017 - Present
- Maricopa County Bar Association, 2017 - 2021
- Regular Contributing Writer on Ethics Matters, 2018 - 2021
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2012 - 2016
- Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee, 2014 - 2016
- Wilson High School Mentoring Program 2012-2014
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2009
University of Notre Dame
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, cum laude, 2006