- Email: Sean.Shecter@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 954.939.3364
- Fax: 954.728.1282
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn
Sean P. Shecter is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Lewis Brisbois, co-chair of the firm’s Government Investigations & White Collar Defense Practice, and chair of the Supply Chain Due Diligence Practice. He is also a member of the firm's Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, and Sustainability and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Practices, and a former federal prosecutor.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Sean was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Middle District of Florida, the second most populous district in the United States, from March 2016 until October 2020. While at the U.S. Attorney's Office, Sean tried nine jury trials, six as first chair, and conducted investigations into a wide array of federal crimes, including procurement, mail and wire fraud, domestic and international drug trafficking, and money laundering. He also conducted numerous parallel investigations, including with the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Division involving alleged violations of the False Claims Act and the U.S. Commodities Future and Trading Commission regarding fraudulent transactions occurring on the foreign exchange market.
Prior to working as a federal prosecutor, Sean practiced at two prominent law firms in New York City, where he handled white collar crime and general litigation matters, including high stakes investigations for prominent multinational corporations and financial institutions.
He has extensive experience conducting internal investigations, including overseas. Overall, Sean is proficient in advising clients on healthcare fraud and abuse matters, including those involving violations of the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute, OFAC regulations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), anti-money laundering laws, federal and/or state banking laws, U.S. tax and securities laws, privacy laws (GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA), and regulations concerning cryptocurrencies.
- Quoted, "How Gillum, ComEd Verdicts Might Foreshadow Trump's Fate," May 12, 2023
- Quoted, "FTX Founder Launches Volley Of Defenses In Criminal Case," May 9, 2023
- Quoted, "Madigan Trial Looms Large After ComEd Bribery Verdicts," May 3, 2023
- Co-Author, "What SBF's FCPA Charge Means For Crypto Enforcement," April 28, 2023
- Quoted, "Bankman-Fried Hit With FCPA Charge As Feds Drop 'Hammer'," March 28, 2023
- Quoted, “Bankman-Fried Blog 'Nightmarish' For His Attys, Experts Say,” January 13, 2023
- Quoted, "Feds Back FTX Founder Into Corner As Charges Mount," December 13, 2022
- Co-Author, "What To Pay Attention To In FTX Fraud Probe," Law360 Expert Analysis, November 21, 2022
- Co-Author, “Latest Swiss Cross-Border Tax Investigation Reflects Wider US Enforcement Agenda,” Practical European Tax Strategies, Vol. 16, No. 8., August 2014
- Author, “Global Trend to Criminalize Bribery—Highlight U.K. and China,” Article included in materials circulated in connection with panel titled “FCPA, UK Bribery Act and Anti-Corruption Job Opportunities: What Young Lawyers Need to Know,” American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Spring Conference, 2012
- Author, “Commercial Bribery,” Article included in materials circulated in connection with panel titled "Briber Beware: International Enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Related Anti-Corruption Efforts,” American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Fall Meeting, 2010
- Co-Author, “Participating in Civil Litigation Without Waiving the Fifth Amendment Privilege Against Self-Incrimination,” American Bar Association Criminal Litigation Newsletter, Fall 2010
State Bar Admissions
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- American University Washington College of Law’s Environmental and Energy Law Alumni Advisory Council
- Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Corporate Council, 2021
American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C.
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2008
George Washington University, Elliott School of International Affairs, Washington, D.C.
Bachelor of Arts, International Affairs, summa cum laude, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa