- Email: Devera.Petak@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 415.438.6605
- Fax: 415.434.0882
Devera Petak is a partner in the San Francisco office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. She is an East Coast native and a 1975 graduate of University of California, Stanislaus. She attended Western State University College of Law where she was an editor on the Law School Newspaper and published a column on law school life. Devera brings over 35 years of legal expertise to the practice. In her general liability practice she has concentrated in the areas of general casualty defense, including premises liability, motor vehicle liability and rental car liability, landlord/tenant litigation, and catastrophic injury.Devera also has experience in the areas of insurance coverage, first party property law, and all aspects of bad faith law litigation having defended numerous insurance companies against these claims. Devera is skilled in evaluating and litigating cases through trial, as well as pre-trial advocacy, settlement negotiation (directly with opposing counsel, at mediation and settlement conferences), alternative dispute resolution, and law and motion practice. She is dedicated to providing the highest level of efficient and effective legal services to her clients. Where possible, Devera works with her clients to head off potential legal disputes and problems before they reach the litigation stage, ideally before litigation is even contemplated, thereby assisting her clients in avoiding the unnecessary costs and emotional and other tolls of litigation. Devera has given presentations for and consulted with clients one-on-one to develop effective litigation-avoidance strategies tailored to their specific needs.
Devera is a member of the California Bar and local bar associations and is admitted to practice in all California state courts and the United States District Court for the Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Devera is a member of the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada. In her off time she is a Certified Health Coach assisting people aspire to their wellness and best health.
CSE Insurance Group v Northbrook Property & Casualty Co. (1994)23 Cal. App. 4th 1839, Counsel for CSE as defendant and on appeal.
Certified Health Coach
- Rescues Poodles and Grumpy Cats
- Certified Health Coach, Lecturer on Wellness and Transformational Health
- Lecturer, Dealing with Department of Insurance and the Market Conduct Survey, conducted for various insurance companies in California.
- Lecturer-How Insurance Companies Settle Claims
- Lecturer-How to Handle Appraisal Aspects of a First Party Property Claim
- Lecturer and Participant-Mock Trial Expert. PLRB, 2007-2012
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
9th Circuit Federal Court
United States District Court for the Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
- California Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Evidence Awards in Law School
- Graduated with Honors
Western State University, College of Law
Juris Doctor, 1979
University of California Stanislaus
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1975