- Email: Kathryn.Honecker@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 602.385.7864
- Fax: 602.385.1051
Kathryn Honecker is an associate in the Phoenix office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Class Action & Mass Tort and Professional Liability Practices. Kathryn joined Lewis Brisbois’ Phoenix Office in 2019 with more than 20 years of litigation experience in class actions and other complex and commercial litigation. Throughout her career, Ms. Honecker has represented parties in litigation involving a variety of subjects and claims, including breach of contract, fraud/consumer fraud/misrepresentation, post-secondary educational issues, data breach, professional liability, negligence, antitrust violations, securities fraud, Ponzi schemes, civil rights violations, discrimination, sexual harassment, and employment issues. She has also advised companies on securities, insurance, and regulatory issues.
Ms. Honecker has been active in the class action bar, having chaired both the Class Action and Derivative Suits and the Consumer Litigation Committees of the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation, and often writes and speaks on class action subjects.
Ms. Honecker began her career in 1998 in Illinois before moving to Arizona in 2000 to join a Phoenix class action firm, where she became a shareholder. In 2015, she was recruited to chair the class action department at a Scottsdale firm.
Ms. Honecker also volunteers her time with the Desert Botanical Gardens and The Junior League of Phoenix.
- Co-Author, Chapter 5. Class Action Discovery Strategy, Class Action Strategy & Practice Guide, (Gregory C. Cook & Jocelyn Larkin eds., 2018).
- Author, Flowcharts: “CAFA Diversity Jurisdiction at a Glance,” The Class Action Fairness Act: Law and Strategy (Gregory C. Cook ed., 2013) (Book Review) (2nd ed. Upcoming 2020).
- Co-Author, Four Ways to Authenticate Copies of Webpages and Other ESI Before Trial, ABA (Jul. 31, 2019).
- Co-Author, Best Practices for Citing Online Content and Avoiding Link Rot, ABA (Jul. 23, 2019) (posted on the ABA’s home page).
- Author, A Better Night’s Sleep: Five Actions to Improve Your Sleep Quality, ABA (Apr. 11, 2019).
- Co-Author, Three Principles to Stop Conflating: Choice of Law, Standing, and Transfer of Venue, ABA (Feb. 27, 2019).
- Co-Author, Clarifying Cooperation under Rule 1: A Command or a Recommendation?, ABA Sec. of Litig. Consumer Litig. Committee Newsl., Vol. 23, No. 4 (Jan. 31, 2017) (Republished on May 25, 2017, in the Woman Advoc. Committee Newsl. and Feb. 12, 2019, in the Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl.).
- Author, Understanding “Susman Agreements” and Why You Want Them in Your Case-Management Orders, ABA (Jan. 31, 2017).
- Author, A Primer on Finding Plaintiffs for Your Class Action . . . Ethically, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 23, No. 4 (Summer 2013).
- Author, CAFA Diversity Jurisdiction at a Glance, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 23, No. 3 (Spring 2013).
- Co-Author, A Primer on Elevated Health Claims, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 22, No. 2 (Spring 2012).
- Co-Author, Rule 23(b)(2) or (b)(3)? Does It Matter?, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 21, No. 4, at 26-28 (Sept. 21, 2011).
- Co-Author, What Is an Opt-In Class Action?, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 20, No. 3 (Spring/Summer 2010).
- Co-Author, Defining an Ascertainable Class, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 20, No. 2, at 2 (Winter 2010).
- Co-Author, Class Certification Discovery: Q&A for New Class Action Lawyers, ABA Sec. of Litig. Class Action & Derivative Suits Committee Newsl., Vol. 19, No. 1 (Fall 2008).
- Co-Author, Ask the Expert: Does A Wage Garnishment Harm My Chances For Getting A New Job?, Arizona Republic (2007).
- Anthony R. McClure, Websites May Be Places of Public Accommodation Subject to the ADA, Litig. News (March 18, 2019), https://www.americanbar.org/groups/ litigation/publications/ litigation-news/featured-articles/2019/websites-may-be-places-public-accommodation-subject-the-ada/.
- Geoff A. Gannaway, Knowledge of False Label Does Not Flush Standing for Injunction, Litig. News (Feb. 6, 2018).
- Matthew S. Mulqueen, Post-Judgment Tender Cannot Trigger Unaccepted Rule 69 Offer, Litig. News (May 19, 2017).
- Sara Randazzo, Case in California would base attorneys’ compensation on hours, not a percentage, WALL ST. J. (Nov. 29, 2015).
- Mary Fetzer, The heroes who stopped Subway’s foot-long fakery, AVVO Naked Law (Oct. 28, 2015).
- Renee Choy Ohlendorf, Growing Divide over Class Action Tolling under American Pipe, Litig. News (Feb. 4, 2015).
- Joseph Callanan, Securities Law Does Not Shield Ponzi Schemer's Associates, Litig. News (Jun. 10, 2014).
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Volunteer, Desert Botanical Gardens
- Volunteer, The Junior League of Phoenix
- Speaker, The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit, Nat’l Bus. Inst. (2019).
- Speaker, Discovery Under the New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Nat’l Bus. Inst. (2016).
- Speaker, Cooperation Between Counsel, ABA Sec. of Litig. Sound Advice Audio Library (podcast) (2016).
- Speaker, When Does a Class Action Claim Become Moot? Considerations and Strategies for Counsel After Campbell-Ewald Co. v. Gomez, Strafford Publications (2016).
- Speaker, Rule 68 Offers of Judgment in Putative Class Actions: Litigation Strategies Given Growing Circuit Split, Strafford Publications (2015).
- Speaker, Developing a Private Litigation Approach to Charter School Accountability, ABA Sec. of Litig. Children’s Rights Litig. Committee Roundtable (2015).
- Speaker, Professional Development Workshop at Arizona Summit Law School, ABA Sec. of Litig. (2014).
- Speaker, Numerosity as It Pertains to Class Certification, ABA Sec. of Litig. Sound Advice Audio Library (podcast) (2013).
- Speaker, How Antitrust Laws Affect Industry Associations, Ass’n of Women in the Metals Indus. Biennial Antitrust Meeting (1999).
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
US District Court District of Arizona
US District Court District Northern District of Illinois
US District Court District of Colorado
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
American Bar Association, Section of Litigation 2013–present
- Recruitment Initiative Task Force, Co-Chair
- Consumer Litigation Committee, Immediate Past Co-Chair (3 yrs.)
- Class Actions & Derivative Suits Committee, Past Co-Chair (3 yrs.)
- Class Actions & Derivative Suits Committee, Past Newsletter Editor (5 yrs.)
Awards & Honors
- Awarded ABA Section of Litigation’s Best Turnaround Committee, Consumer Litigation, 2017
- “Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” Arizona, The National Trial Lawyers, 2015
- Selected to Arizona’s Finest Lawyers, 2014
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2014
- “Arizona’s Top Lawyers,” ERISA, AZ Business Magazine, 2014
- “Rising Star,” Class Actions, Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Awarded an Avvo Rating of 10.0 (Superb), 2013–2020
Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, NE
Juris Doctor, cum laude
Carthage College, Kenosha, WI
Bachelor of Arts, History, cum laude