- Email: Joelle.Nelson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.742.6712
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Joelle Nelson is a partner in the Houston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. She has successfully defended her clients' interests, for over 16 years, ranging from high profile energy, construction, and products liability cases to family law and probate matters. Ms. Nelson strives to empower clients by providing a steadfast commitment to each case, offering straightforward strategies to guide clients through the legal process, engaging in diligent preparation, and recognizing and taking advantage of opportunities. Ms. Nelson has 16 years of experience in general litigation, family law and probate.
Ms. Nelson was the briefing attorney for Justice John S. Anderson, with the Fourteenth District Court of Appeals. She drafted several, often complex, civil and criminal appellate opinions.
- “Traps Along the Road to Future Medical Care Awards." Joelle Kenney, April 8, 2002, TEXAS LAWYER, VOL. 18, pg. 30
- "CORPORATE GEMS: The Corporate Practice of Medicine." Joelle Kenney, July 21-23, 2002, TTLA Advances Personal Injury Law Course 2002, Houston, Texas
- "Medical Malpractice: Recent Developments from the Plaintiff's Perspective." Joelle Kenney, March 6, 2003, South Texas College of Law, Personal Injury Law Conference 2003, Houston, Texas
- “Health Care Liability: Experts.” Joelle Kenney, August 14, 2003, University of Houston Law Center, Tort Reform and Insurance Law: 2003 Legislative Update.
As a briefing attorney for the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Ms. Nelson drafted the dissent in Lawrence v. State, 41 S.W.3d 349 (Tex. App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2001, pet ref’d), cert. granted, 531 U.S. 1004, and judgment reversed, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), elements of which were later adopted by the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Nelson is also a participant and Co-Chair of the Chevron Houston Marathon “Hero” Program benefiting The Parish School, which is a non-profit school specializing in intervention for children with neurological differences.
Ms. Nelson is married to Christopher Nelson and they have a daughter, Jocelyn Grace. Together, Joelle and her family support local Houston schools specializing in children with neurological differences.
"First and Third Party Claims Litigation.” Joelle Nelson, CLE, August 2015.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- The Harris County Bar Association
- The Fort Bend County Bar Association
- The Women Contractors Association
- Texas State Bar Oil, Gas, Energy Resource Division
- Texas State Bar, Construction Division
- Texas State Bar, Litigation Division
- Texas State Bar, Family Law Division
Awards & Honors
In 2011, 2012, and 2013 Ms. Nelson was named a Texas Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” which recognizes the top up-and-coming attorneys in the state. Compiled through peer nomination and research, only two percent of attorneys in Texas, under 40 years-old, receive this distinction.
South Texas College of Law
University of Southern Maine
Bachelor of Science