- Email: Alan.Swerdlow@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 415.262.8570
- Fax: 415.434.0882
Alan E. Swerdlow is a partner in the San Francisco office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Coverage Practice.
Alan Swerdlow represents insurance companies in connection with complex coverage and bad faith claims. Mr. Swerdlow provides counsel to those companies regarding their rights and responsibilities, and serves as trial counsel in coverage and bad faith actions. Mr. Swerdlow also represents Public Entities in connection with their insurance matters including analysis and representation regarding pooling agreements and Memorandums of Coverage. Mr. Swerdlow assists carriers in drafting policies, endorsements and establishing methodologies for handling complex claims. Mr. Swerdlow also handles personal injury, construction defect and commercial disputes. Alan Swerdlow practices in all the state and federal trial and appellate courts in California.
Mr. Swerdlow has been a member of the State Bar of California since 1987 specializing in insurance coverage for three decades. Mr. Swerdlow has handled cases on behalf of insurers at every level from pre-litigation matters to matters with the California Supreme Court. He is statewide and national coverage counsel for insurers and risk financing entities for both litigation and non-litigation services. For 30 years, Swerdlow has provided advice and representation regarding complex claims handling, underwriting and risk management.
- Montrose Chemical Corp v. Superior Court (1989) 6 Cal.4th 287 (Liability insurers were obligated to defend insured pesticide manufacturer against charges under CERCLA for hazardous waste contamination because the insured showed, prima facia, that the complaint fell within the coverage of the policies).
- Clarendon America Insurance Company v. Matriscope (2008) U.S. Dist. LEXIS 36606
- Clarendon America Insurance Company v. Sorg (2007) U.S. Dist. LEXIS 49097
- Chapter contributor, Donner and Crowe, “Attorney’s Practice Guide to Negotiations,” Clark, Boardman, Callaghan, 2d Ed., 1995.
State Bar Admissions
Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and the Defense Research Institute, Member.
University of Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1987
- Pacific Law Journal, Member