Legal Secretary – San Bernardino
April 20, 2021
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP's San Bernardino office seeks an experienced Legal Secretary on a full-time basis.
The legal secretary position works with a minimum of 3 attorneys and will perform a variety of duties, including but not limited to, the preparation, editing and filing of various legal documents; transcription of correspondence; scheduling of appointments and calendaring; communicating with all necessary parties for the efficient handling of the desk (Records, Duplications, Messengers, etc.); and handling various other tasks as assigned by the attorneys or Secretary Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
The following list of essential functions is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned in addition to those listed. The items listed are considered daily functions associated with this position.
- Work with a minimum of 3 attorneys
- Perform secretary functions for attorneys requiring knowledge of format, procedures and legal terminology
- Transcribe information from typed or handwritten notes, shorthand or dictation. Ensure that grammar, spelling and citations are accurate and formatted correctly
- Prepare, edit, proofread and maintain a variety of legal documents, including but not limited to, correspondence, motions, subpoenas, opinions, complaints, declarations, discovery requests and pleadings associated with discovery and trial preparation
- Schedule appointments, depositions conference calls, site inspections, medical examinations and various other appointments, including travel and company-related business for the attorneys assigned to the desk, as well as confirm prior to appointment, after scheduling. Order court reporters, interpreters, videographers and conference rooms, as needed
- Prepare and process check requests, expense reimbursement requests, invoices, AP/AR information and other financial documents are required
- Answer phones, assist callers when possible, take messages, check voice mail and return calls, prepare memorandum regarding call – if appropriate, and all in a prompt manner
- Handle all incoming and outgoing mail
- Prepare filing for file maintenance by Records Department personnel
- Open new matters and close files as required by attorneys associated with desk assignment
- Maintain secretarial desk procedures and ensure Secretarial Manager/Office Manager has the most recent copy
- Assist in overflow as needed
- Reliable, consistent attendance in the office is required
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
An individual in this position must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Must be able to operate required automated equipment, including but not limited to computers, printers, digital dictation, fax machines, photocopiers, calculators and telephone system. Must be able to exert up to 15 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects as needed. This is a sedentary position that involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking, standing, bending, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office and must be computer-literate with a variety of computer software programs, or capable of receiving necessary training to become proficient
- Knowledge of all State and Federal Court procedures and requirements
- Knowledge of all applicable deadline/cut-off dates for trial, discovery, etc. (in both State and Federal
- Expertise in calendaring; electronic filings (both State and Federal); preparation of tables of contents and tables of authorities
- Ability to listen and follow directions
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure as required by deadlines, etc.
- Attention to detail required, strong proofreading skills
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and promote positive work habits, including effective and timely communication, team work and respect for co-workers
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, with little supervision; must be well organized
- Ability to delegate, as needed, and to work cooperatively with staff support departments
- Ability to understand and apply the firm’s practices and procedures
- Ability to comply with safe work practices, including the use of safe work procedures, maintenance of a safe work area and the use of safety equipment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent, and a minimum of ten (10) years experience in a law office environment either as a secretary or paralegal. Litigation background required for all positions, in addition to those specialty areas required for specific desks.