- Email: Jennifer.Yuen@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1406
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Jennifer W. Yuen is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois.
Ms. Yuen focuses her practice on complex medical malpractice, product liability, environmental and toxic tort, construction, professional liability, and general liability defense litigation involving catastrophic injuries, death, and significant damages exposure. She counsels clients through all phases of litigation, from inception through trial or settlement.
An experienced litigator in federal and state courts, Ms. Yuen has represented a broad spectrum of private and public sector clients, including:
- Physicians, psychiatrists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, dentists, and pharmacists
- Hospitals, outpatient medical facilities, health care systems, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and long-term care providers
- Food service providers
- Facilities management companies
- Construction firms and contractors
- Commercial and residential property owners
- Manufacturers of pharmaceutical, medical, construction, consumer, and industrial products
- Transportation authorities and municipalities
- Insurance Companies
Ms. Yuen has served as lead defense counsel on high-profile cases, arising from foodborne illness, environmental contamination, pathogenic bacteria disease outbreaks, nosocomial or hospital-acquired infections, fires, explosions, allegedly defective pharmaceutical and medical products, and construction accidents. She has particular expertise in the handling of federal multi-district litigations, mass tort actions and matters involving large scale governmental investigations, and regulatory and compliance issues related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), New York State and New York City Departments of Health, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and other authorities.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Ms. Yuen was an attorney at two prominent New York law firms, where she defended healthcare professionals and product manufacturers in complex litigation. She also served as Law Clerk to The Honorable Alexander W. Hunter, Jr., Appellate Term Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Twelfth Judicial District, First Department. Before beginning her legal career, she worked as a patient liaison and interpreter at two major New York City hospitals. Ms. Yuen is also a licensed New York State Real Estate Broker.
Ms. Yuen is committed to staying knowledgeable of advancements and evolving regulations impacting healthcare, product, and workplace liability and safety, and regularly presents educational and risk management programs. She values building strong relationships with her clients by providing them with effective, creative, and efficient legal representation, and close attention and advice.
Ms. Yuen speaks Chinese (Cantonese) and Spanish.
- Stolowski v. 234th East 178th Street and The City of New York (Bronx County Supreme Court trial arising from the “Black Sunday” tragedy involving six New York City Firefighters)
- In Re: Steam Pipe Explosion at 41st Street and Lexington Avenue (New York County Supreme Court mass tort action arising from 200+ personal injury and property damage claims related to the 2007 Con Edison steam pipe explosion in New York City)
- Summary judgment victory on behalf of prominent New York City hospital and attending psychiatrist (Kings County Supreme Court medical malpractice action involving death of the patient due to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome arising from alleged negligent psychotropic medication management, diagnosis, and monitoring of the patient)
- In re: Fleet Phosphosoda® Multi-District Litigation (500 + pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Bausch & Lomb Contact Lens Solution (Renu with MoistureLoc®) Multi-District Litigation (500 + pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Levaquin® Litigation (U.S. District Courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Legionnaires Disease Outbreak Litigation (Bronx Supreme Court mass tort contamination claims arising from 2015 South Bronx Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak)
- Listeria Outbreak Litigation (New York state and federal court actions arising from alleged deaths and foodborne illness related to listeria monocytogenes ingestion)
- Lead and Silica Litigation (New York state occupational disease and toxic exposure claims)
Gaona-Garcia v. Gould (Decision and Order), 2011 NY Slip Op 51028(U), New York Law Journal June 15, 2011 (Decided on May 23, 2011 Supreme Court, Bronx County Alexander Hunter Jr., J.).
- Limited Justice: A Call for the New York State Legislature to Implement Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations in Civil Cases Involving Childhood Sexual Abuse (Westchester Bar Journal 2007).
- Law Practice Management, Co-editor (Gary A. Munneke/Thomson West. 3d ed. 2007).
- New York State Real Estate Broker
- OSHA -10 (U.S. Department of Labor - Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
- New York State Notary Public
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Construction/Labor Law/General Liability Litigation, 2014
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Medical Malpractice Litigation, 2014
- CLE – Electronic Discovery and Best Practices, 2012
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
United States District Court, Southern DIstrict of New York
- The Association for Healthcare Risk Management of New York (AHRMNY)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association (Committees: Health Law, Construction Law, Tort Law Section)
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
Selected to Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars list (2017)
Pace University School of Law
Columbia College of Columbia University in The City of New York
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Economics