- Email: Jennifer.Yuen@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1406
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Jennifer W. Yuen is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois.
Ms. Yuen focuses her practice on complex medical malpractice, product, environmental and toxic tort, construction, professional, premises, and general liability defense litigation involving catastrophic injuries, death, and significant damages exposure.
An experienced litigator in federal and state courts, Ms. Yuen has represented a broad spectrum of private and public sector clients, including: physicians, psychiatrists, nurses, and other medical professionals; hospitals and medical facilities; pharmacies and pharmacists; health care organizations and networks; food service providers; facilities management companies; construction firms; commercial and private property owners; manufacturers of pharmaceutical, medical, construction, consumer, and industrial products; transportation authorities; and municipalities. She counsels clients through all phases of litigation, from inception through discovery, motion practice, mediation and settlement negotiations, and at trial.
Ms. Yuen has served as lead defense counsel on high-profile cases, including mass tort and federal multi-district litigations arising from foodborne illness, environmental contamination, pathogenic bacteria disease outbreaks, fires, explosions, and allegedly defective pharmaceutical and medical products. She also regularly litigates claims arising under the New York State Labor Law.
Additionally, Ms. Yuen has significant experience handling matters related to large scale investigations, and regulatory and compliance issues involving the New York Public Health Law, New York Education Law, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), New York State Department of Health, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and other authorities.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, Ms. Yuen was an associate at two prominent New York litigation firms, where she defended healthcare providers and manufacturers in medical malpractice, professional liability, and product liability actions. She also served as Law Clerk to The Honorable Alexander W. Hunter, Jr., Appellate Term Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Twelfth Judicial District, First Department. Before beginning her legal career, she worked as a patient liaison and interpreter at two major New York City hospitals.
Ms. Yuen values building strong relationships with her clients while providing them with effective and efficient legal representation, attention, and advice. She strives to deliver added value to clients by presenting educational and risk management programs, and has lectured on e-discovery best practices, and the impact of the Affordable Care Act on the defense of personal injury actions. Ms. Yuen is proactive and committed to staying abreast and knowledgeable of evolving policies and regulations impacting healthcare, product, and workplace liability and safety.
Ms. Yuen is also a licensed New York State Real Estate Broker and certified by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
In 2017, Jennifer was selected to the distinguished Super Lawyers NY Metro Rising Stars list, an honor reserved for only 2.5% of those lawyers in New York who exhibit excellence in practice.
She speaks Chinese (Cantonese) and Spanish.
- Stolowski v. 234th East 178th Street and The City of New York (Bronx Supreme Court; trial arising from the “Black Sunday” tragedy involving six New York City Firefighters in Bronx, New York)
- In Re: Steam Pipe Explosion at 41st Street and Lexington Avenue (New York County Supreme Court; mass tort / consolidated action arising from 200+ personal injury and property damage claims related to the Con Edison steam pipe explosion in New York, New York)
- Summary judgment victory on behalf of prominent New York City hospital and attending psychiatrist in a medical malpractice action alleging death of the patient due to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome arising from negligent psychotropic medication management, diagnosis, and monitoring of the patient (Kings County Supreme Court)
- In re: Fleet Phosphosoda® Litigation (U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Ohio; federal multi-district litigation arising from 600+ pharmaceutical product liability claims filed across the country)
- Levaquin® Litigation (U.S. District Courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; federal pharmaceutical product liability claims)
- Legionnaires Disease Outbreak Litigation (New York State Supreme Court contamination claims arising from exposures to legionella pneumophila in Bronx, New York)
- Listeria Outbreak Litigation (New York State Supreme and U.S. District Court claims of foodborne illness arising from exposures to listeria monocytogenes in New York, New York)
- Environmental contamination and toxic exposures to lead and silica (New York State Supreme Court occupational disease claims arising under the New York State Labor Law and Industrial Code)
Gaona-Garcia v. Gould (Decision and Order), 2011 NY Slip Op 51028(U), New York Law Journal June 15, 2011 (Decided on May 23, 2011 Supreme Court, Bronx County Alexander Hunter Jr., J.).
- Limited Justice: A Call for the New York State Legislature to Implement Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations in Civil Cases Involving Childhood Sexual Abuse (Westchester Bar Journal 2007).
- Law Practice Management, Co-editor (Gary A. Munneke/Thomson West. 3d ed. 2007).
- New York State Real Estate Broker
- OSHA -10 (U.S. Department of Labor - Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
- New York State Notary Public
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Construction/Labor Law/General Liability Litigation, 2014
- CLE – The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Medical Malpractice Litigation, 2014
- CLE – Electronic Discovery and Best Practices, 2012
United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
United States District Court, Southern DIstrict of New York
- The Association for Healthcare Risk Management of New York (AHRMNY)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association (Committees: Health Law, Construction Law, Tort Law Section)
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
Selected to Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars list (2017)
Pace University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2007
Columbia College of Columbia University in The City of New York
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Economics, 2003