- Email: Eric.Stiff@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 916.646.8262
- Fax: 916.564.5444
Eric J. Stiff is a partner in the Sacramento and San Francisco offices of Lewis Brisbois, a member of the Corporate Practice and also vice-chair of the Securities & Corporate Finance Practice. He represents privately held and publicly traded companies in a variety of practice areas, including mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and securities, venture capital, private equity, health care, managed care and real estate. Eric provides advice and direction on a wide range of U.S. and cross-border transactions, including equity and debt financings, combinations, strategic alliances and government contracts.
Eric has been widely recognized and consistently selected by his peers and listed in the prestigious The Best Lawyers in America and in San Francisco and Sacramento Magazines as a Northern California Super Lawyer. He was selected as Sacramento Corporate Lawyer of the Year (2016) and has been named as one of San Francisco’s Top Attorneys by the San Francisco Chronicle. He is rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale Hubbell, the highest peer review rating available.
Eric advises health care organizations, among others, on a wide range of transactional and state and federal regulatory matters. He has more than 20 years of experience representing clients including HMO’s, insurance companies, health plans and medical device manufacturers. He has assisted health care clients in various matters including, (i) mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, reorganizations, credit facilities and financings, (ii) regulatory approvals from state agencies, including the Department of Managed Health Care, (iii) real estate transactions and (iv) contractual matters including administrative services agreements, business associate agreements and confidentiality arrangements.
A significant portion of Eric’s practice involves advising Canadian and other international clients in accessing the U.S. capital markets, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and investment transactions and U.S. securities law compliance. In particular, Eric represents clients in national security reviews before CFIUS (Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States), as well as other agencies of the US government. Clients include issuers, underwriters, investment banks and placement agents.
Eric regularly counsels clients, CEOs, Boards of Directors and Special Committees in connection with a variety of business, corporate governance, and strategic planning issues including fiduciary duties, executive compensation, and disclosure issues. His clients range from early stage to Fortune 100 companies and internationally recognized investment banking firms.
- Representation of underwriter in private placement, IPO and NASDAQ listing for California-based technology company.
- Representation of Fortune 200 and NYSE managed health care company in various regulatory and transactional matters.
- Representation of international health plan in large syndicated debt financing.
- Representation of underwriters in connection with Canadian public offering and U.S. private offering (Regulation S and 144A).
- Representation of a publicly traded international pharmaceutical company in a merger and financing transaction.
- Representation of numerous domestic and international clients in connection with CFIUS content national security reviews of acquisitions of US businesses.
- Formation, capital raising, compliance and ongoing representation of private equity fund.
- Representation of travel and hospitality company in connection with sale to one of the largest private equity firms in the world.
- Representation of publicly traded software company in acquisition of leading competitor.
- Representation of a start-up technology company in connection with first and second round venture financings and eventual merger and acquisition transaction.
- Representation of technology company in capital raise, acquisition of public company and related spin-off transaction.
- Representation of placement agent in connection with PIPE (private investment in public equity) transaction.
- Representation of private technology company in formation, license and development arrangement with Fortune 500 defense contractor.
- Named 2016 Sacramento Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as top lawyer in region by Sacramento Magazine for Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities & Corporate Finance (2016)
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law) (2010- 2017)
- Northern California Super Lawyer (Securities & Corporate Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions) (2012, 2014- 2016)
- San Francisco’s Top Attorneys (San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Magazine) (2011-2016)
- AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1995
University of California, Santa Barbara
Bachelor of Arts, 1989