- Email: Mark.Oertel@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.7952
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Mark Oertel is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Surety, Fidelity, Construction, and Insurance Law Practices. He has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of surety and fidelity and serves as chair of both firmwide practice areas. His experience also includes insurance, professional liability, construction and commercial disputes.
He handles the following types of matters:
- Contract surety disputes involving all phases of payment and performance bond claims, litigation and recovery
- Commercial surety claims including license and permit bonds
- Fidelity bond claims
- Employee dishonesty claims
- Construction disputes including all phases of contracting, performance and liability
- Commercial disputes both domestic and international
- Professional liability defense
- Insurance coverage and litigation including extra contractual claims
- Summary of California Fair Claims Settlement Practice Regulations, 2013
- An Update on the Application of Unfair Claims Settlement Practices and Bad Faith to The Fidelity Insurer Fidelity Law Journal Volume X, October 2004
- Member Editorial Board of The Fidelity and Surety Digest, 2003-2012
- Contributing Author to The Surety’s Indemnity Agreement Law and Practice, American Bar Association, 2002
- Contributing Author to The Most Important Questions A Surety Can Ask About Performance Bonds, American Bar Association, 1997
- American Bar Association Mid Winter Program "Underwriting the Commercial Crime Policy and the Underwriter's View of Claims-Handling and Outside Counsel" January 24, 2013 New York, N.Y.
- California Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations: California Department of Insurance Training Certification. July 2013, Soiux Falls, S.D., Des Moines, I.A. and Bloomington, I.L.
- ACI'S Ligating Contract Surety Bond and Fidelity Insurance Claims. October 17-18,2012 Philadelphia, P.A.
- Surety Claims Associating Los Angeles, "Subdivision Performance Bonds: Completion of the Project and Exoneration of the Bonds Two Years After the Real Estate Bush". May 2012, Los Angeles, C.A.
United States Supreme Court
United States District Court, Central District
United States District Court, Southern District
United States District Court, Northern District
United States District Court, Eastern District
United States Circuit Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit
- American Bar Association-Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Committee, Miscellaneous Surety Committee, Construction Industry Forum
- National Bond Claims Association
- Surety Claims Association of Los Angeles
- Surety Claims Institute
- Fidelity Law Association
- University of California Master Gardeners
Southwestern University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1985
Brigham Young University
Bachelor of Science in Finance, 1982
- Composite Minor in Economics and Accounting