For more than 35 years, Lewis Brisbois has specialized in interpreting insurance contracts of all kinds and in representing insurers in complex coverage claims and extra-contractual litigation. Such representation includes monitoring, mediations, arbitrations and declaratory relief litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Today, Lewis Brisbois has one of the largest insurance practices in the United States, with more than 100 lawyers across the country specializing in insurance law. As our clients will attest, there are reasons for this growth. First, we provide clear, objective advice when our clients’ rights and obligations under their policies are challenged. Second, if a coverage or claim handling dispute enters litigation, we defend our clients’ position vigorously, creatively and efficiently.
Our attorneys' experience and knowledge encompass a wide variety of insurance matters including:
- Insurance coverage related to general liability, professional liability, homeowners, title, disability, accident and health, life, jeweler’s block, inland marine, multi-peril business and customized (manuscript) policies;
- Insurance coverage for employment practices including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination, federal Title VII and EEOC, State Fair Employment and Housing Act, employment contract claims and age discrimination claims;
- Insurance coverage related to construction defect litigation, including coverage issues arising out of land subsidence and related problems;
- Insurance coverage disputes arising out of national products liability litigation;
- Insurance coverage related to pollution and toxic tort claims, such as CERCLA claims by state and local environmental authorities, and claims by private parties against one another;
- Insurance coverage related to intellectual property litigation (including patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, licenses and trade secrets) and arising out of “advertising injury” or “personal injury” policy provisions (including defamation, disparagement and invasion of privacy);
- Insurance coverage with respect to rights and obligations of parties under directors and officers liability policies;
- Insurance coverage related to errors and omissions policies, including policies issued to lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and real estate agents;
- Claims involving interpretation of excess and umbrella policies, including “drop down” issues;
- Interpleader actions;
- Monitoring of, and fee arbitrations against “independent counsel” selected by insureds;
- Policy drafting and insurance forms drafting.
- We represent major insurers and their policyholders in real estate and title disputes and litigation. We defend title insurers against extra-contractual claims and litigation. We are members of the California Land Title Association (CLTA) and have represented CLTA and American Land Title Association as amicus curiae in appellate matters.
- We have represented statutory authorities and associations of insurers, such as the California FAIR Plan Association, the California Insurance Guaranty Association and the California Earthquake Authority.
National Coordinating Chair
- December 19, 2014 Texas Appellate Court Upholds Ogea Rule and Requires Exhaustion of Additional Insured Coverage
- July 01, 2014 Important Cases to Watch For in Future Issues
- June 25, 2014 Louisiana Law Now Allows Recovery of Exemplary Damages in Domestic Abuse Cases
- June 25, 2014 Florida High Court Strikes Down Medical Malpractice Cap in Wrongful Death Cases
- February 06, 2017 Greg Worden Secures Wash. Supreme Court Opinion
- February 03, 2017 Richard Wolf Published by Claims Journal
- November 19, 2015 Lewis Brisbois Ranked #5 Among Largest Insurance Practices by Law360
- April 04, 2016 Gulf Coast Legal Update - Spring, 2016
- March 28, 2016 Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Newsletter - March, 2016
- December 29, 2015 Gulf Coast Legal Update - Winter, 2015
- December 17, 2015 Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Newsletter - December, 2015