Legal Secretary - Houston
May 08, 2018
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP's Houston office seeks an experienced Legal Secretary on a full time basis.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Review of incoming mail and memoranda
- Diary response dates for pleadings and discovery
- Calendar appearance dates
- Confirm all appearances (with clients, court reporters, witnesses, and experts, etc.)
- Request continuances or extensions as needed
- Schedule all depositions of parties, witnesses, experts, etc. (includes preparation of notices, extensive telephone contact, confirming letters, check requests, etc.)
- Arrange for court reporters, interpreters, videographers, conference rooms for depositions; prepare calendar slips
- Prepare subpoenas for service
- Arrange for messengers for pick-up and/or delivery
- Arrange for photocopying, service, mail, faxing, and /or personal delivery
- Schedule/coordinate all travel arrangements
- Answer phones, assist caller when possible, take messages, check voice mail, and return calls
- Open and close files (New Matter Memos; Closed Matter Memos instructions to file room)
- Process cost invoices
- Process expense reports
* Duties will vary according to specific attorney(s) and case type.
- Knowledge of all local, state, and federal court procedures and requirements
- Knowledge of all applicable deadline/cut-off dates for trial, etc.
- Focus and attention to detail is required
- Ability to efficiently manage a fast paced and busy work load
- Ability to listen and follow directions; meet deadlines
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office, NetDocuments, eDockets, etc.).
- Professional demeanor and good communication skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Minimum 5 years legal secretarial experience
- Knowledge of both State and Federal court rules/calendaring
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP offers a generous compensation package and salary is commensurate with experience. Congenial work environment; office located in Greenway Plaza.
Email resume and three references to the Office Administrator Ian Skewes at email@example.com. No telephone calls please.
Lewis Brisbois is a national, full-service law firm with more than 1,200 attorneys from coast to coast. We are listed among the prestigious AmLaw 100 and ranked 9th in the Law360 400 list of the nation’s largest law firms. Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith offers legal practice with more than forty specialties, and a multitude of sub-specialties associated with each practice area. Lewis Brisbois is committed to attracting, hiring, retaining and rewarding the best legal talent. This values-based approach has propelled Lewis Brisbois to become one of the nation’s largest and most successful law firms, reflecting the vibrant diversity of the client and legal communities we represent.
Lewis Brisbois does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies with respect to the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact Lewis Brisbois' human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to Lewis Brisbois. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and Lewis Brisbois. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of Lewis Brisbois. Lewis Brisbois shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.Back to Career Search