David Samani is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Mr. Samani has extensive experience in defending attorneys against claims of legal malpractice, malicious prosecution, and other third-party claims. Examples include:
- Defense of malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims arising from transactional matters, including complex direct and derivative claims against corporate counsel, claims relating to the negotiation of licensing agreements, the preparation of estate planning documents, and immigration matters.
- Defense of malpractice claims involving the alleged negligent handling of patent infringement, medical malpractice, construction, real estate, tax, and business litigation, as well as family law, probate, and workers’ compensation proceedings.
- Defense of malicious prosecution and fraudulent transfer actions brought by non-clients relating matters such as initiation and litigation of underlying fraud lawsuits and purportedly fraudulent asset protection efforts.
Mr. Samani is a co-author of the California Legal Malpractice and Malicious Prosecution Liability Handbook, a publication providing an overview of the issues and law governing legal malpractice and malicious prosecution litigation in California.
In addition, Mr. Samani has defended a variety of professionals, including insurance brokers, engineers, real estate brokers, accountants, and construction management companies against a range of civil claims. Mr. Samani also has extensive experience defending clients in an assortment of proceedings, including the defense of defamation, personal injury, copyright infringement, and consumer litigation actions.
Mr. Samani is a Los Angeles native, and graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from UCLA in 2008. He attended Cornell Law School, where he served as Articles Editor on the Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy and graduated cum laude in 2011. Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Mr. Samani served as a Graduate Fellow for the Honorable James A. Steele, a judicial officer of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Professional Liability
- Legal Malpractice Defense
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
- California Lawyers Association
- Member of the Ethics Committee
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member of the Professional Responsibility & Ethics Committee
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division Liaison to the Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability
Cornell Law School
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2011
University of California, Los Angeles
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, magna cum laude, 2008
- “Think Before Tweeting: An Overview of an Attorney’s Duties With Respect To Social Media,” Los Angeles County Bar Association Update, July 2019
- “Blockchain Technology in the Practice of Law and Insurance,” ABA/BNA Lawyers’ Manual on Professional Conduct, 34 Law. Man Prof. Conduct 617, October 2018
- “Fiduciary Duties and Professional Negligence,” LOS ANGELES DAILY JOURNAL, April 28, 2017
- “A Test for Determining If Attorney-Client Privilege Exists,” Law360.com, March 10, 2015
- "The Blame Game: Causation in Legal Malpractice," LOS ANGELES DAILY JOURNAL, August 1, 2014
- “Legal Malpractice - Show Me The Damage!" LOS ANGELES DAILY JOURNAL, February 28, 2014