- Email: Tracy.Cowan@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 314.685.8350
- Fax: 314.685.8347
Tracy Cowan is the managing partner of the St. Louis office of Lewis Brisbois and is a vice-chair of the Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practice. He has extensive experience managing national mass tort litigation for corporate clients, including asbestos, toxic tort, products liability, and environmental matters venued in trial courts around the United States, and especially in the St. Louis Metro area.
Tracy has spent his entire career defending corporations in mass tort and environmental litigation, serving in a national counsel role for several companies including a multinational oil & gas company, a multinational paint and coatings manufacturer, a class 1 railroad, an electrical motor manufacturer, and a refinery furnace manufacturer. He has a national trial practice in toxic tort and environmental litigation in which environmental or occupational exposures are alleged to have caused personal injury or death. Tracy has tried numerous cases to verdict in multiple states from Delaware to California, including in Madison County, Illinois and the City of St. Louis, Missouri, two prominent “Judicial Hellholes” as identified by the American Tort Reform Association.
In addition, Tracy has significant experience representing banks, brokerage firms, partnerships, and the manufacturers of commercial and consumer products in business and commercial disputes in federal and state courts. His experience includes the representation of banks in business disputes brought by customers, manufacturers in actions brought against vendors, partnerships in dissolution proceedings, and corporations in actions brought by their distributors.
Tracy also has experience in defending personal injury and wrongful death claims against trucking, rail, and aviation transportation clients on a national level, and regionally defending professional liability lawsuits.
- Atrek Dance Company–Past President, Board of Directors
- St. Louis Art Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- "Managing Digital Production and Discovery/Dark Web/Cyber Security," HarrisMartin's MDL Conference: Current Mass Torts from E-Discovery Through Exit Strategies - Navigating "Game-Changing" Dynamics Agenda, New York, New York (November 2018)
- "Examining the Resurgence of Personal Jurisdictional Challenges Impacting Asbestos Cases in the Wake of Bristol-Myers Squibb," American Conference Institute's 23rd National Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, Chicago, Illinois (May 2018)
- "Jurisdictional Update: Status of the Litigation and Recent Decisions," Perrin Mid-Atlantic Asbestos Seminar, Wilmington, Delaware (June 2017)
- "National Coordinating Counsel Roundtable," Defense Asbestos Lawyers Seminar (DALS), Orlando, Florida (June 2017)
- "The Evolution of Talc Litigation," Hilton Head, South Carolina (May 2017)
- "Challenges of Working as a Team," Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP Attorney Training Retreat, Montalba, Texas (February 2017)
- Accredited CLE Presentation, Resolute Management In-House Presentation, Boston, Massachusetts (January 2017)
- Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar (DALS 2016 & 2017)
- "Legal Aspects of Talc Litigation," Cardno ChemRisk Asbestos Science Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2016)
- Mock Opening/Closing Presentation, Sherwin-Williams In-House Presentation, Las Vegas, Nevada (June 2016)
- "Update on Daimler Impact in Various Jurisdictions," Hilton Head, South Carolina (May 2016)
- Accredited CLE Presentation, Resolute Management In-House Presentation, Chicago, Illinois (March 2016)
- Accredited CLE Presentation, Resolute Management In-House Presentation, Boston, Massachusetts (January 2016)
- Accredited CLE Presentation, Liberty Mutual In-House Presentation, Dover, New Hampshire (January 2016)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
United States District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of Illinois
United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
United States District Court for the District of Utah
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Arkansas
United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Arkansas Bar Association
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Awards & Honors
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
University of Missouri School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1992
Missouri Law Review (1990–1992)
University of Missouri–Columbia
Bachelor of Arts,1987
- Obtained a successful defense verdict on behalf of an automotive manufacturer in a living mesothelioma lawsuit venued in the City of St. Louis.
- Served as lead trial counsel in an environmental exposure lawsuit in Alameda County, California in which the plaintiffs alleged that our client’s premises, which was an EPA Superfund site, caused environmental exposures which led to the development of their cancer. The trial lasted four months and resulted in a significantly favorable verdict for the client.
- Represented industrial hog producers in multiple cases in which neighbor plaintiffs alleged private nuisance and loss of use and enjoyment claims, among others, against the clients relating to soil, noise, and air contamination from the defendants’ operations. These series of cases resulted in a favorable trial outcome and led to the resolution of the remaining lawsuits against the client.
- Represented an electrical motor manufacturer in a multibillion-dollar lawsuit alleging groundwater contamination in Orange County, California resulting in significant expenses to the Orange County Water District. This matter was resolved for extremely favorable terms to the client.
- Represented a leading Canadian investment banking company in a suit brought under the Kansas Securities Act for the sale of unregistered securities. Tracy obtained summary judgement on behalf of the investment firm on two occasions and twice argued the appeal before the Kansas Supreme Court, which sustained the judgment in favor of Tracy’s client on the second appeal.
- Defended a bank in a lawsuit and appeal brought by beneficiaries of a trust alleging breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully defended a motors and generators company in actions following the termination of its distributors.