- Email: Caroline.Chan@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.3905
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Caroline Chan is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Appellate Practice. Ms. Chan is an accomplished appellate lawyer and has been certified as a specialist in appellate law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization for many years. In order to become a certified specialist, she passed a day long written examination and fulfilled briefing, oral argument and other requirements.
For over 30 years, the primary focus of Ms. Chan’s practice has been on civil appeals, writs, and dispositive trial court motions. She has also served as a strategic advisor to clients and trial counsel in complex matters.
Ms. Chan’s experience includes filing over 200 appellate briefs, writs, and petitions in the United States Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the California Supreme Court and the California Courts of Appeal. The areas covered include products liability, toxic torts, premises liability, professional liability, commercial litigation, common interest development, insurance, class actions, bankruptcy, arbitration, intellectual property, real estate, consumer law, anti-SLAPP, and employment.
Ms. Chan has extensive trial court experience in the areas of products liability, toxic torts, commercial litigation, real estate, premises liability, professional liability, insurance, and unfair competition. This includes two cases where she cochaired a trial.
Before joining the firm, Ms. Chan worked as a judicial research attorney in the Court of Appeal of the Second Appellate District for the State of California.
T.G. Keens, E.P. Gates, L.D. Hart, A. Basile, A.M. Lau, and C.E. Chan. "Comparison of Pneumograms Recorded at Home and In Hospital in Infants and Children with Apnea," American Review of Respiratory Disease, 131 (4):270, 1985.
Representative Published and Unpublished Cases
- Taylor v. Financial Casualty & Surety, Inc., ___ Cal.App.5th ___ (2021); 2021 Cal.App. LEXIS 674 (2021)
- Spencer v. Lunada Bay Boys, 806 Fed. Appx. 564 (9th Cir. 2020)
- Vlahakis v. Hilton Worldwide, Inc., 2019 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 7467 (2019)
- Gonggryp v. BMW of N. Am., LLC, 2018 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 6308 (2018)
- Lindley v. City of Los Angeles, 2018 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 7062 (2018)
- Bhandari v. 7-Eleven, Inc., 2018 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 198 (2018)
- Ford v. Cmty. Mem. Hosp., 2018 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 5180 (2018)
- Wal-Mart Stores v. Superior Court, 2017 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 8568 (2017)
- Watts v. Oak Shores Community Association, 235 Cal.App 4th 466 (2015)
- Investors Equity Life Holding Co. v. Schmidt, 233 Cal.App.4th 1363 (2015)
- White v. Deloitte & Touche, 553 Fed. Appx. 754 (9th Cir. 2014)
- Ortiz v. Siddiqui, 2013 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 4412 (2013)
- Transport Ins. Co. v. TIG Ins. Co. et al., 202 Cal.App.4th 984 (2012)
- Kirby Morgan Dive Sys. v. Hydrospace, Ltd., 478 Fed. Appx. 382 (9th Cir. 2012)
- Simmons v. James, 2011 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 7245 (2011)
- Telemasters, Inc. v. Vintage Club Master Ass’n., 371 Fed. Appx. 771 (9th Cir. 2010)
- Arriaga v. Citi Capital Commercial Corp., 167 Cal.App.4th 1527 (2008)
- Akkerman v. MECTA, Corp., 247 Fed. Appx. 895 (9th Cir. 2007)
- Castro v. Budget Rent A Car Systems, Inc., 154 Cal.App.4th 1162 (2007)
- Binks v. Orange County Fire Auth., 2003 Cal.App. Unpub. LEXIS 4526 (2003)
- Norgart v. Upjohn Co., 21 Cal.4th 383 (1999)
- Sturgis v. Employers Ins., 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 10612 (9th Cir. 1998)
- Rose v. Scileppi, 1998 U.S. App. LEXIS 18755 (9th Cir. 1998)
- DaFonte v. Up-Right, Inc., 2 Cal.4th 593 (1992)
State Bar Admissions
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Appellate Courts Section
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
- State Bar Committee on Appellate Courts (2007-2010)
- Asian Business League of Southern California (Member of the Board of Directors, 1994-2000)
Awards & Honors
Named as a Southern California Super Lawyer multiple times.
Boston University School of Law, Dual Degree Program
Juris Doctor, 1990
Boston University School of Public Health, Dual Degree Program
Master of Public Health, 1991
Washington University in St. Louis
Bachelor of Arts, 1987