Christopher Derrenbacher is a partner in the Raleigh office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. His clients include insurance companies and insured and self-insured individuals and corporations throughout the State. Mr. Derrenbacher is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts in North Carolina. He has successfully argued before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court on numerous occasions. Mr. Derrenbacher is certified by the North Carolina Department of Insurance as a lecturer on numerous topics including insurance claim handling, general liability issues, and workers' compensation litigation. He is also an occasional guest lecturer to nurses and other medical staff regarding medical malpractice litigation.
Mr. Derrenbacher has handled insurance disputes in North Carolina for the last twenty years for multiple carriers. These disputes include extra contractual claims for alleged bad faith arising from violation of the Fair Claims Handling Act of NC. He has defended such claims in State and Federal Courts and is familiar with the Judges in each jurisdiction. Insurance coverage and extra contractual claims make up approximately 30% of his caseload. He currently handles such claims for FCCI, IDS, UPC, and Federated.
Mr. Derrenbacher’s extensive practice includes helping clients and insurers investigate first party and third party claims pre-suit, including examinations under oath, accident reconstruction, expert reviews, property inspections, and fire investigations. When possible he encourages clients to consider pre-suit mediation as a means of early resolution. When early resolution is not possible, or not desirable, he has defended self-insureds, insureds and insurers across North Carolina in both the State and Federal Courts. Mr. Derrenbacher has defended clients for claims of negligence, breach of contract, malpractice, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- COVID-19: Insurance Coverage
Western, Middle and Eastern District of US District Courts of North Carolina
Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section and Construction Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Member of Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Awards & Honors
- 2010 Super Lawyer Rising Star
- 2011 Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Mr. Derrenbacher is certified by the North Carolina Department of Insurance as a lecturer on numerous topics including insurance claim handling, general liability issues, and workers’ compensation litigation.
- Invited Speaker, Duke Raleigh Hospital, “Counts, Prevention of Retained Items during Surgery,” August 10, 2006, and October 4, 2006, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Presenter, Lorman Education Services, “Workers’ Compensation in North Carolina,” given annually since 2001
- Presenter, Lorman Education Services, “Workers’ Compensation Update in North Carolina,” given annually since 2001
- Invited Speaker, North Carolina Chapter of the National Association of Operating Room Nurses, “Presenting Deposition Testimony,” January 31, 2001, Raleigh, North Carolina
Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins, School of Law
East Carolina University
Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science
- Hall v. Toreros, II, Inc., Court of Appeals of North Carolina, March 07, 2006 176 N.C.App. 309 626 S.E.2d 861 COA05-199
- Hall v. Toreros II, Inc., Supreme Court of North Carolina, March 20, 2009 363 N.C. 114 678 S.E.2d 656 187PA06
- Bass v. Durham County Hosp. Corp., Court of Appeals of North Carolina, June 03, 2003 158 N.C.App. 217 580 S.E.2d 738 COA02-841
- Bass v. Durham County Hosp. Corp., Supreme Court of North Carolina, March 05, 2004 358 N.C. 144 592 S.E.2d 687 349A03
- Thigpen v. Ngo, Supreme Court of North Carolina, February 01, 2002 355 N.C. 198 558 S.E.2d 162 292A01
- Masood v. Erwin Oil Co., Supreme Court of North Carolina, October 12, 2007 361 N.C. 579 650 S.E.2d 595 94A07
- Hall v. Toreros II, Inc., Supreme Court of North Carolina, April 30, 2009 363 N.C. 257 676 S.E.2d 903 187PA06
- Thigpen v. Ngo, Supreme Court of North Carolina, February 01, 2002 355 N.C. 207 558 S.E.2d 167 332A01
- Williams v. Estate of Grimes, Court of Appeals of North Carolina, February 03, 2004 162 N.C.App. 548 (Table, Text in WESTLAW), Unpublished Disposition 591 S.E.2d 598 COA03-122
- Howze v. Hughes, Court of Appeals of North Carolina, August 03, 1999 134 N.C.App. 493 518 S.E.2d 198 COA98-1607
- Thigpen v. Ngo, Court of Appeals of North Carolina, May 01, 2001 143 N.C.App. 225 552 S.E.2d 641 COA00-410
- Smith Architectural Metals, LLC v. American Railing Systems, Inc., Court of Appeals of North Carolina, September 07, 2010 207 N.C.App. 151 698 S.E.2d 752 COA09-1620
- Stunzi v. Medlin Motors, Inc., Court of Appeals of North Carolina, August 02, 2011 214 N.C.App. 332 714 S.E.2d 770 COA10-954
- Santifort v. Guy, United States District Court, E.D. North Carolina, Eastern Division.
- In re New Bern Riverfront Development, LLC, United States Bankruptcy Court, E.D. North Carolina, Raleigh Division.
- Edwards v. Greenfield, United States District Court, E.D. North Carolina, Western Division.
- McLawhorn v. County of Wayne, N.C., United States District Court, E.D. North Carolina, Western Division.
Co-Chair of the Bench Bar Liaison Committee of the North Carolina State Bar Association, 2014-2016
Mr. Derrenbacher is active member of Sacred Heart Cathedral Parish in Raleigh, North Carolina and a coach for youth ice hockey.