Lewis Brisbois has established a strong reputation in its representation of healthcare providers including hospitals, physicians, nurses, technicians, therapists, mental healthcare counselors, pharmacists, dentists, podiatrists, clinics, convalescent homes and other healthcare providers in state and federal courts. The firm also handles medical malpractice actions in numerous areas including obstetrics, emergency medicine, surgery, cardiology, general practice, pulmonary medicine, nursing, orthopedics, neurology, oncology, plastic surgery, ophthalmology, genetics testing, radiology, dentistry and podiatry. We also regularly appear on behalf of healthcare providers before the Medical Board on licensing and disciplinary matters.
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP is one of the premier defense firms in the healthcare and medical malpractice field. The firm’s Healthcare Practice now numbers in excess of 150 attorneys, making us one of the largest firms nationally. We have some of the most experienced and well-respected trial attorneys, many of whom are members and have served as officers in such organizations as The American Board of Trial Advocates, American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and American Inns Of Court. Our litigators include a number of former healthcare practitioners who have a special understanding of the circumstances facing their colleagues when confronted with malpractice and licensing litigation. Our litigation team includes a pharmacist, a nuclear medicine technologist, nurses, law school faculty members, medical school instructors and writers and lecturers in a wide variety of medical issues.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Practice regularly represent healthcare providers in administrative law hearings regarding licensing issues. Representative clients include professionals from Longs Drug Stores, Raley’s, Thrifty and Payless Drug Stores, Sierra Pharmacy and numerous physicians and mental health counselors.
The firm’s Healthcare Practice has been active in the defense of numerous mental healthcare providers including cases of sexual misconduct, recovered memory and dual relationships.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Practice also represent a number of health care facilities including acute care hospitals, convalescent and skilled nursing care facilities, free standing clinics and surgery centers. Our experience has been with a wide range of issues including, nursing care / nursing assessment, chain of command, emergency department care, intensive and critical care units, operating room, labor and delivery informed consent, slip and fall and other general personal injury liability, premise liability and security and safety issues, staff privileging issues (Elam), and Medical Staff Bylaws, transfer of patients to other facilities (The federal Emergency Medical Treatment and active Labor Act and state law), and Medical records.
Our Healthcare Practice has defended the Regents of the University of San Diego and the County of Los Angeles in AIDS/blood bank contamination matters. We have successfully defended facilities in cases involving Alpha Fetaprotein, Hepatitis and venereal disease testing.
Lewis Brisbois has represented numerous medical laboratories in failure to diagnose, inadequate testing and genetic testing cases. These cases involve erroneous reports of sexually transmitted diseases, misinterpretation of tests, failure to perform genetics testing and drug testing issues.
- Rima Badawiya (Partner) - Rima.Badawiya@lewisbrisbois.com, 909.386.3041
- Gregory Lynch (Partner) - Greg.Lynch@lewisbrisbois.com, 213.580.7927
- Malinda Miller (Partner) - Malinda.Miller@lewisbrisbois.com, 973.856.8014
- George Nowotny (Partner) - George.Nowotny@lewisbrisbois.com, 213.580.7904
- Kathleen Walker (Partner) - Kathleen.Walker@lewisbrisbois.com, 213.680.5199
- Nichol Bunn (Partner) - Nichol.Bunn@lewisbrisbois.com, 214.722.7105
- Josh Davis (Partner) - Josh.Davis@lewisbrisbois.com, 832.460.4628
- Reuben Jacobson (Partner) - Reuben.Jacobson@lewisbrisbois.com, 415.438.6612
- Kevin Nicholas (Partner) - Kevin.Nicholas@lewisbrisbois.com, 602.385.1033
- Matthew Pascale (Partner) - Matthew.Pascale@lewisbrisbois.com, 213.680.5159
- Carrie Meigs (Partner) - Carrie.Meigs@lewisbrisbois.com, 919.459.6167
- Jennifer Oetter (Partner) - Jennifer.Oetter@lewisbrisbois.com, 971.712.2809