Bryan Leifer is a partner in the Los Angeles, Dallas, and Seattle offices of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Class Action & Mass Tort, Consumer Financial Services, and Bankruptcy & Insolvency Practices. He has extensive litigation experience in state and federal courts. He has argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the California Court of Appeal on numerous occasions, acting as lead counsel at both the appellate and trial court levels. He has served as lead defense counsel in putative class actions in state and federal courts. Mr. Leifer has substantial experience in regulatory and governmental compliance matters involving a multitude of state and federal laws.
Mr. Leifer has represented creditors in multiple aspects of Chapter 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcy cases, including adversary proceedings. He is experienced in bankruptcy issues surrounding fraudulent transfers, relief from stay, and other nuanced areas of bankruptcy law. His prior experience includes representation of interested parties in state and federal criminal fraud and money laundering matters.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Leifer was an Analyst/Researcher at the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism in Herzilya, Israel. In that capacity, he focused on analyzing terrorist activities in Southeast Asia, where his published findings were utilized by several Southeast Asian governments as well as by the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Class Action & Mass Tort
- Consumer Financial Services
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
All California federal district courts
All California federal bankruptcy courts
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
District of Connecticut
- California State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- Texas State Bar
Awards & Honors
- America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators®
- Named a Rising Star by Southern California Super Lawyers®, 2015–2020
- Certificate of Special Recognition, United States Congress, for pro bono representation of veterans of the United States Armed Forces
- Extern clerk to the Honorable Judge Arthur Alarcon of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eagle Scout
UCLA School of Law
- Juris Doctor
- Law Review: Chief Comments Editor, Journal of International Law & Foreign Affairs
Master of Arts in Government/International Politics
University of California at Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, summa cum laude
Clerkship – Judicial extern to Judge Alarcon, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Obtained summary judgment on numerous cases representing Fortune 500 companies.
- Representation of banks and Fortune 500 companies in matters of governmental and regulatory compliance.
- Representation of lenders and other interested parties in state and federal criminal white collar fraud cases, including representation as to asset forfeiture issues.
- Lead defense counsel on federal and state putative class action lawsuits.
- Prevailed on a multitude of bankruptcy adversary proceedings in addition to creditor and debtor representation in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as well as arguments before the California Court of Appeal, First, Second, and Fourth Appellate Districts.
- Counsel in over 100 federal civil, bankruptcy, and criminal cases.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Volunteer Attorney, Veterans Legal Institute