Katherine Den Bleyker
Katherine Den Bleyker is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Wage & Hour Class Action Practice. She has extensive experience litigating complex cases in both state and federal court, including class action matters involving California’s consumer protection statutes, wage and hour regulations, unfair competition laws, and the Private Attorneys General Act.
Additionally, Ms. Den Bleyker defends employers against claims brought by individual employees involving alleged harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, and wage claims, both in court and before the relevant administrative agencies (including the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Department of Fair Employment and Housing).
Ms. Den Bleyker also provides preventative counseling to employers on various employment issues including compliance with wage and hour laws, employee terminations and discipline, and crafting employee policies, in an effort to help reduce the risk of litigation.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Labor & Employment
- Wage & Hour Class Actions
- COVID-19: Labor & Employment
United States District Court, Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
United States District Court, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
Rising Stars® distinction in the field of Employment & Labor, Law & Politics, 2014–2019
- ePlace Solutions, Inc. Seminars, “An Epic Change: Arbitration Agreements in a New Era,” June 28, 2018
- ePlace Solutions, Inc. Seminars, “A Wage and Hour Nightmare: Dynamex Operations West v. Superior Court,” May 31, 2018
- Lewis Brisbois Wage and Hour Class Action Practice Group Seminars, “Advantages and Pitfalls of Pick Up Stix Individual Settlement Strategy,” March 21, 2018
- Lewis Brisbois Wage and Hour Class Action Seminars, “Lessons from Williams v. Superior Court,” August 1, 2017
- Lewis Brisbois Sacramento Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar, “PAGA: The Sue Your Boss Law,” September 8, 2016
- Lewis Brisbois Orange County Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar, “PAGA: The Sue Your Boss Law,” March 16, 2016
- Propel Insurance, “CLRA Class Actions and the Assisted Living Industry,” February 25, 2016 (Seattle, WA) and February 26, 2016 (Portland, Oregon)
- Lewis Brisbois Wage and Hour Class Action Seminars, “PAGA: California’s Private Attorneys General Act of 2004,” December 1, 2015
- Lewis Brisbois Wage and Hour Class Action Seminars, “Wage and Hour 201,” May 5, 2015
Fordham University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2007
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Arts, 2004
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith as a partner, Ms. Den Bleyker was an associate at another major Los Angeles defense firm. Ms. Den Bleyker also has experience litigating cases from the plaintiffs' side, giving her invaluable insight into the thought process and litigation strategies of plaintiffs' counsel.
- Courts Use Common Sense to Manage PAGA, Daily Journal (July 16, 2014)
- The Relationship Between NLRA Section 7 and Social Media: “It’s Complicated,” Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, XXXII, No. 2 (2012)
- The First Amendment Versus Operational Security: Where Should the Milblogging Balance Lie?, Fordham Intellectual Property Media & Entertainment Law Journal, 17 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. 401 (2007)