Michael Wilk is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. He has over 35 years of bench and jury trials, arbitrations and litigation experience in defending accountants, attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents, escrow officers, insurance agents and brokers, and real estate agents and brokers for professional malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, Unfair Business Practices, RICO, and related claims. Michael also defends employers against discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination claims.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Professional Liability
- Accountants Errors & Omissions
- Legal Malpractice Defense
- Real Estate & Land Use
Santa Clara University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1982
San Jose State University
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Accounting, 1980
- Served as general counsel to the largest privately owned insurance agency, and has won verdicts and judgments for numerous insurance agents and brokers.
- Served as general counsel for several local real estate agencies for claim prevention and claim repair to avoid litigation.
- Defended hundreds of accountants, bookkeepers, business managers, CPAs, enrolled agents, escrow officers, home inspectors and appraisers in addition to the thousands of attorneys, insurance agents and real estate agents in his primary practice.
- Served as retained expert for Golden Eagle Insurance regarding appropriate fees of defense counsel hired to represent accountants in malpractice claims.
- Represented CAMICO on subrogation claims arising from accountant E&O.
- Represented plaintiffs in professional liability actions.
- Litigated product liability, real property, general liability, and EPLI claims.
- Represented a Homeowners Association in a class action and, subsequent to defeating class certification, a four week bench trial resulting in a judgment in favor of the association, upheld on appeal.
- Litigated employment discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination claims asserted against large, as well as small, businesses.
- Worked in the tax department of Arthur Andersen & Co. (1982-1985).
- Santa Clara University School of Law (1983 - 1985) professor.