Katherine Weadock is a partner in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Healthcare Practice. She focuses her practice in the areas of medical malpractice, medical licensing, physician issues, healthcare legislation, elder abuse, and personal injury.
Ms. Weadock is an experienced litigator in personal injury and wrongful death matters involving physicians, hospitals, medical groups, and other healthcare providers, as well as in matters involving general liability and products liability. She is also experienced in handling professional licensing matters representing physicians, nurses, physical therapists, dentists, optometrists, and other health professionals in State and BUMED matters. She is experienced in NPDB, HIPAA/HITECH, MSP, and evolving legislation under MACRA. Ms. Weadock has litigated matters involving legal malpractice with underlying healthcare and personal injury related allegations. She also has experience representing public entities, entertainment venues and professional sports teams in personal injury and premises liability actions.
Results include over 50 successful motions for summary judgments or dismissals for clients in professional liability and products liability matters. Primarily responsible pre-trial litigator on several matters leading to defense verdicts. She has litigated cases in the California Court of Appeal, 4th District, Div. 1.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Liability
- Products Liability
- Long-Term Care
- COVID-19: Healthcare/Long-Term Care/Regulatory
United States District Court
Southern and Central Districts of California
- American Bar Association - Health Law Section
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association, 1998-2015
Awards & Honors
Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2023 — Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- “How Not to Get Sued” – UCSD Division of Plastic Surgery, March 2016
- “Physician Communications Under HIPAA/HITECH; De-Identification of PHI” – Department of Surgery, Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group, Inc., September 2016
California Western School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1996
University of San Diego
ABA Approved Paralegal Program, 1990
University of California at San Diego
Bachelor of Arts, Physiology and Neuroscience, 1986
Liaison Health Law and Policy (American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Physician Interest Group) September 2015 to September 2016
- Involves monitoring requests for comment from governmental agencies and help identify issues on which the Section may want to submit comments. When necessary will collaborate with the Section's Health Law and Policy Coordinating Committee on the development or analysis of ABA policy positions and on comments on regulations or legislation concerning its area of interest.