Stephen Kovarik is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Law Practice. Mr. Kovarik has over 30 years of experience in handling insurance coverage and related matters.
Mr. Kovarik has national litigation experience focusing on insurance coverage and bad faith matters, including disputes pertaining to municipal liability, intellectual property, pollution, professional liability, construction defects, workers’ compensation, sexual harassment and molestation, malpractice, automobile liability, drop-down issues, rescission and restitution.
Mr. Kovarik’s coverage experience also involves analyzing claims and preparing coverage opinions under a broad array of insurance policies, including general liability, excess, umbrella, public entities, errors and omissions, environmental, workers’ compensation, builders’ risk, commercial property and automobile.
Other litigation areas include commercial litigation, securities, trademark, legal and medical malpractice, surety, tort and toxic mold.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Insurance Law
New York Law School
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1986
- Research Editor: New York Law School Law Review, 1985-1986
School of Visual Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts, 1976
- City of Carlsbad v. Insurance Co. of the State of Pennsylvania, 180 Cal. App. 4th 176, 182, 2009
- Marie Y. v. General Star Indemnity Co., 110 Cal. App. 4th 928, 2003
- General Reinsurance Corp. v. St. Jude Hospital, 107 Cal. App. 4th 1097, 2003
- Avco Corp. v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co., 679 A.2d 323, R.I. 1996
- Met-Coil Systems Corp. v. Columbia Casualty Co., 524 N.W.2d 650, Iowa 1994
- Morton International, Inc. v. General Accident Insurance Company of America, 134 N.J. 1, 629 A.2d 831, 1993, cert. denied, 512 U.S. 1245, 1994
- Dingle v. Virga, 195 A.2d 538, 600 N.Y.S.2d 474, 1st Dep’t 1993
- Berk v. Ascott Investment Corp., 759 F. Supp. 245, E.D. Pa. 1991
- Potomac Electric Power Co. v. California Union Insurance Co., 136 F.R.D. 1, D.D.C. 1990
- Harter Corp. v. Home Indemnity Co., 713 F. Supp. 231, W.D. Mich. 1989