Thomas Kiddé is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice. Mr. Kiddé has more than forty years of litigation experience and specializes in intellectual property litigation, prosecution and counseling. He has represented clients in the areas of trademark and trade dress infringement, unfair competition, dilution, false advertising, patent infringement relating to utility and design patents, copyright infringement, claims involving the rights of privacy and publicity as well as matters under the Uniform Trade Secrets Act.
Representative cases include trade dress claims as to product configuration and color. Patent disputes pertaining to valves and pumps, telecommunications systems, mechanical and electro-mechanical locking mechanisms, exercise equipment, ladder systems, games of chance, electronic clock mechanisms for the hearing impaired, traffic delineators and barricades. Copyright disputes regarding photographic images, musical compositions, websites, computer software, fine art as well as fabric and jewelry designs.
Mr. Kiddé’s litigation experience includes both jury and bench trials in the federal and state courts. He has appeared in all of the federal district courts in the State of California as well as the Northern District of Illinois and the Districts of Colorado, Columbia, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada and Ohio. He has argued before the Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and the Federal Circuits. He has also had trials before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office in inter partes matters.
Mr. Kiddé’s practice also includes trademark prosecution and counseling including searching and clearance, for domestic and foreign trademark applications as well as copyright matters. He has also negotiated and prepared intellectual property agreements for trademarks, copyrights, technology transfers, music and television rights, publishing and distribution rights.
Mr. Kiddé is a member of the United States District Court’s Settlement Officer Panel for Trademark, Copyright and Patent matters.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Intellectual Property & Technology
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Unites States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
TTAB Practice for Novices Forum, International Trademark Association, September, 1998
Hastings College of the Law
Juris Doctor, 1974
Bachelor of Arts, 1971
- Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Cleveland Museum of Natural History, 38 U.S.P.Q. 2d 1382 (TTAB 1996)
- BIC Corporation v. Sara Export Import , Inc. et al, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18974 (S.D. Cal. 2000)
- DoorKing, Inc. v. Sentex Systems, Inc., et al., 2001 U.S. App. LEXIS 20483 (Fed. Cir. 2001)
- Aero Products International, Inc. v. Intex Corp., et al, 64 U.S.P.Q. 2d 1772 (N.D. Ill. 2002)
- Intex Recreation Corp. v. Metalast S.A., 400 F.Supp.2d 123 (D.D.C. 2003)
- C&C Imports v. Crosby, et al., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 110416 (C.D. Cal. 2008)
- Pacific Information Resources, Inc. v. Simple Communications, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98943 (N.D. Cal. 2008)
- Hillberry v. Wooden Teddy Bear, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11651 (D. Colo. 2009)
- Impeva Labs, Inc. v. System Planning Corp., et al, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 120011 (N.D. Cal. 2012)
- Impeva Labs, Inc. v. System Planning Corp., et al, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4198 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Lucky Break Wishbone Corp. v. Sterling Jewelers, et al., 2011 US Dist. LEXIS 110224 (D. Minn. Sept. 26, 2011)
- Malch v. Dolan, et al., 2015 US Dist. LEXIS 85147 (C.D. Cal June 30, 2015) and 2016 US Dist. LEXIS 14542 (C.D. Cal. Feb. 4, 2016)