Randy Aliment is a partner in the Seattle office of Lewis Brisbois with a broad-based practice focused on commercial litigation and the higher education and sports industries. He regularly conducts internal investigations for universities in anticipation of potential government or other legal exposure. He has represented universities in arbitrations related to admissions, governance, and their relationships with teaching locations and partner institutions outside of the U.S. He also serves as General Counsel for the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of seven regional organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit postsecondary institutions.
Mr. Aliment has extensive experience representing foreign clients in US litigation and overseeing foreign litigation and commercial transactions for U.S. clients (in China, Japan, Canada, Europe, and the Middle East). He is a Foreign Consultant to Duan & Duan, the first privately licensed Chinese law firm, with offices in several cities in China. A lifelong sports fan, Mr. Aliment represents several organizations and individuals in the sports and entertainment industries. He represents several NBA play-by-play announcers and has dealt extensively with sporting events at venues located at tribal casinos.
In 2012, he served as Chair of the 25,000-member Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association. In 2013, he was elected to the Executive Committee of the Union Internationale des Avocats headquartered in Paris, France. He joined former Governor Christine Gregoire in September 2010 and Governor Jay Inslee in November 2013 on their trade missions to China. In 2014, Mr. Aliment served as editor and co-author of an eBook, “Invest Washington,” that has been translated into Chinese.
Mr. Aliment has repeatedly been recognized as an outstanding Pacific Northwest lawyer, including: Best Lawyers in America, 2013 – present; and Who’s Who of International Business Lawyers, 2011 – present. In 2012, he was named recipient of the University of Puget Sound’s Distinguished Alumni Professional Achievement Award. Mr. Aliment’s Martindale-Hubbell rating is “AV Preeminent.”
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Entertainment, Media & Sports
- International Practices
- Complex Business & Commercial Litigation
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center
- COVID-19: Commercial & Contractual Litigation Disputes
United States District Court, Western Washington
United States District Court, Eastern Washington
United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
United States Court of Claims
- Washington State Bar Association
- International Law Section, Executive Committee, 2008–2012
- American Bar Association
- Rule of Law Initiative Advisory Board, Asia Division, 2009–2019
- Rule of Law Initiative Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative Council, 2016–2019
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Chair, 2011–2012
- Center for Human Rights Committee, Executive Board, 2013–2016
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Union Internationale des Avocats (“UIA”)
- Executive Committee, Revenue Director, 2013–Present
Awards & Honors
Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021
Several presentations in US, Asia, and Europe over the years including:
- Speaker, “Arbitration and Governance in Sports,” Sports Law Commission, Union Internationale Des Avocats Congress, Toronto, Canada, October 29, 2017.
- Speaker, “Litigation in US Federal Court,” Litigation Commission, Union Internationale Des Avocats Congress, Florence, Italy, October 31, 2014.
- Speaker, “Mixed Martial Arts Opportunities in China,” Sports Law Commission, Union Internationale Des Avocats Congress, Florence, Italy, October 30, 2014.
- Speaker, “Supply Chain Opportunities in Washington State,” Torino Piemonte Aerospace, Turin, Italy, October 27, 2014.
- Speaker, “Conflict Minerals – Get the Facts!” Center for Advanced Manufacturing Puget Sound Manufacturing Conference, Bellevue, WA, June 18, 2014.
- Speaker, “The Asia-Pacific Market Update: A Look Ahead to the Challenges and Opportunities in 2013 and Beyond,” 20th Annual Marketing Partner Forum - Growing Your Business in a Flat & Changing Market, Rancho Palos Verdes, January 17, 2013.
Seattle University School of Law
Juris Doctor, summa cum laude
University of Puget Sound
Bachelor of Arts, with honors
Several published articles and papers in US, Asia, and Europe over the years including:
- Author, “An Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution in International Business Transactions,” American Bar Association TIPS Fall 2016 Newsletter, October 2016.
- Author, “Alternative Dispute Resolution in International Business Transactions,” 2015 ABA London Sessions, June 2015.
- Author, “Magna Carta’s Legacy Spans the Centuries,” Tort Source: A Publication of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Winter 2015.
- Editor and Co-Author, eBook, “Invest Washington,” September 2014.
- Author, “Serb Leader is Tried by an International Tribunal,” ABA Journal, November 2013.
- Author, “Expanding Globally? - Why the Rule of Law is an Important Consideration,” January 2013.