Gregory Tumolo is a partner in the Providence office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice. Gregory’s practice is focused on representing and counseling employer and employee clients in a wide array of labor and employment law matters.
Gregory has substantial experience providing employers with the creative and cost-effective compliance solutions that they need to grow their businesses and effectively manage risk. He drafts, reviews, and disseminates the documents that they need to recruit and retain a diverse and talented workforce; build a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and harassment; and comply with their obligations under local, state, and federal law. He regularly assists clients with issues arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and state anti-discrimination and wage and hour laws. He also provides education and training to executives, managers, and HR professionals on a wide variety of employment law topics.
Gregory also has several years of direct and substantial experience litigating discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, and whistle-blower claims. He has successfully defended employers in cases before the before state courts and administrative agencies in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), the Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
For his employee clients, Gregory negotiates the terms of employment agreements and proposed severance packages, assist with career transitions that involve non-competition and restrictive covenants, and aggressively represents their interests in cases involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and unpaid wages.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Labor & Employment
- Employment Advice & Counseling
- Rhode Island SHRM - Director of Legislative Affairs
- Employers Association of the NorthEast - Member of Board of Directors
- Youth Pride, Inc. - Secretary
Awards & Honors
Rising Star - Labor and Employment Law, Super Lawyers (2014, 2018, 2021)
- Testified as subject matter expert before Wage and Hour Division of United States Department of Labor on proposed FLSA overtime rule changes (September 2018)
- Testified as subject matter expert before House Special Legislative Commission to Study Unlawful Sexual Harassment in the Workplace (April 2018)
Suffolk University Law School
Juris Doctor, 2008
Bachelor of Science in Business Management, magna cum laude, 2005
- Featured contributor to "Employer-side lawyers parse pay equity law," Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly (July 2021)
- Featured contributor to “Legal issues raised over returning to work,” Providence Business News (May 2020)
- Featured contributor to “Thought you were insured for this interruption? Maybe not,” Providence Business News (April 2020)
- Featured contributor to "Advising multi-state employers on new Mass. leave law," Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly (June 2019)
- Co-editor of course book for ALFA International's 2018 EPL and Professional Liability Seminar
- Co-author of "Maintaining employee handbooks," Providence Business News (January 2017) (May 2018)
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Serve as co-instructor for Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Employment Law Legal Clinic
- Served as Citizenship Class instructor at Dorcas International Institute of Rhode Island
- Served as a volunteer mediator at Mediation and Collaboration Center of Rhode Island