Jonathan Cavanagh is a partner in the Houston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability, Insurance Law, and Bad Faith Litigation Practices.
Having litigated on both sides of the docket, Jonathan is intimately familiar with the development of personal injury lawsuits. He brings an aggressive style of litigation to the table with insider knowledge of how plaintiffs and their counsel develop and build their cases. His practice is primarily focused on personal injury litigation, insurance defense litigation, and first-party insurance disputes and bad faith claims. Previously, Jonathan gained extensive experience in commercial litigation, contracts, electronic discovery, and premises liability matters, both in-house and at the corporate level.
As a native Houstonian, Jonathan graduated cum laude from the University of Houston prior to attending law school and receiving his Juris Doctor from the Charlotte School of Law. After completing law school, Jonathan pursued a post-doctoral fellowship with the General Counsel for the University of Houston System. He brings a broad range of experience along with a proven track record of success.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
- Insurance Law
- Bad Faith Litigation
Awards & Honors
Top 10 under 40 in Texas for Personal Injury from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2020—2021
Charlotte School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2012
University of Houston
Bachelor of Arts, 2008
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Committee Member, LGBT Section, Houston Bar Association
- Attorney Mentor, Houston Bar Association
- Currently awaiting a published opinion from the 9th Court of Appeals in Beaumont, Texas
- Justin Botts v. Farwah Naqvi
- Successfully defended multiple insureds for multi-party auto accident through pre-trial disposition.
- Successful disposition of first party fraudulent theft claims after conducting underlying investigation related to same.
- Negotiated favorable settlements for complex personal injury matters involving six and seven figure exposure thresholds.
- Successful defense of multiple six figure personal injury matters through pre-trial disposition.
- Defended multiple insurors related to Special Investigative Unit investigations for a variety of matters, including arson, water loss, theft of property/auto, and underlying auto/trucking liability.