Charlotte Kormendy is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability and Insurance Coverage Practices.
Charlotte represents and counsels insurers in complex insurance coverage matters. Ms. Kormendy’s expertise includes analyzing coverage, finding creative solutions and resolving intricate disputes between policyholders, claimants, and insurers including: additional insured and contractual indemnity, bad faith, Commercial General Liability (CGL), commercial crime and fidelity, Directors’ and Officers’ liability (D&O), professional liability, Errors and Omissions liability (E&O), Employment Practices Liability (EPL), advertising injury claims, and umbrella and excess policies. Ms. Kormendy also has experience representing financial institutions in consumer financial services litigation. She has defended financial institutions in a variety of cases, including matters alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA), as well as state unfair and deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) statutes and other consumer lending statutes and regulations. In addition, Ms. Kormendy’s experience encompasses all phases of litigation from motion practice through trial. She has handled state and federal appeals, and has extensive experience representing clients in arbitration and mediation.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Trial Bar, U.S. District Court, Northern District Illinois
- Filipino American Bar Association: Treasurer, 2003; Vice President, 2004; President, 2005-2006
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
Juris Doctor, 1998
- Captain, Thomas Tang Moot Court Team Best Brief Award
- Niagara International Law Moot Court Competition
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and Legal Studies, cum laude, 1995
- Universal Mortgage Corp. v. Wurttembergische Versicherung, 2010 WL 3060655 (E.D. Wis. 2010)
- Compania de Seguros Condor, S.A. v. Copenhagen Reinsurance Company (UK), 879 So.2d 1242 (Fl.App.Ct. 2004)
- "The McNulty Memorandum: Do New Guidelines for Federal Prosecutors Provide Adequate Deference to Corporate Privilege?" Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, co-authored, 2007
- "'Viability' Doctrine Fails to Kill Malpractice Suit," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, co-authored, 2006
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Ms. Kormendy has served as a Victim Impact Panelist for Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD) since 2010. She was appointed to MADD's Advisory Board for the state of Illinois in 2015.