Meleah Skillern is an associate in the Akron office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business and Commercial Litigation Practice.
Ms. Skillern is experienced in handling a wide range of business disputes which have been filed in court or heading to court, including claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, business interference and breach of contract, amongst others. Ms. Skillern enjoys the courtroom but recognizes that clients often want to resolve disputes before litigation is necessary. Ms. Skillern has successfully negotiated settlements and achieved positive results for her clients outside of the courtroom, allowing them to get back to running their business without the stress and expense of litigation.
In addition to representing business clients, Ms. Skillern is active in her community and passionate about people. Ms. Skillern frequently speaks to students and young professionals about the practice of law, business and professionalism.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Complex Business & Commercial Litigation
Ohio Supreme Court; United States District Court, Northern Distict of Ohio; all Ohio state courts.
- Stark County Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Norman S. Minor Bar Association (Cleveland)
- Summit County Public Defender’s Commission — Active member, September 2020-present
- Honorable Judge Ira G. Turpin Scholarship Award Committee - Active Member, 2018-present
- Canton Museum of Art Board of Trustees - Active Member, 2017-present
Awards & Honors
- "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2022
- Stark County Contemporary Trailblazer Award - 2019
- Greater Akron Chamber 30 for the Future Award Recipient - 2018
- Leadership Akron, Community Leadership Institute - Spring 2017 Graduate
The University of Akron School of Law – Akron, OH
Juris Doctor, May 2016
- Black Law Students Association
- Akron Law Trial Team
- Certifications & Awards: General Mediation, Outstanding Oralist Award
Ohio University – Athens, OH
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude, May 2013
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity
- Ohio University Recruiting Society; Multi-Cultural Recruitment
- Campus-wide community service: Duel for the Schools Coordinator