David Kern is the managing partner of the Akron, Ohio office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Corporate Practice. Mr. Kern works with clients to develop and execute business savvy legal and tax strategies for businesses from early stage through maturity and sale or merger, with a view towards maximizing benefit to their owners and investors.
As an experienced corporate and tax “deals” lawyer and strategist, often Mr. Kern acts as primary outside counsel to middle market companies owned by private individuals, investment and private equity firms, and public companies. He manages litigation matters strategically with the client’s ultimate business goals in mind, and to achieve the best financial impacts and business solutions. His practice is focused on helping companies and their owners build value and manage risk.
Mr. Kern’s specific industry experience includes aviation, aerospace, HVAC, e-business, manufacturing, and healthcare. He has negotiated and closed several hundred transactions including partnerships, business sales and acquisitions, and corporate finance in technology, distribution, aviation, aerospace, manufacturing, and healthcare.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Complex Business & Commercial Litigation
- COVID-19: Contracts & Force Majeure
- COVID-19: Tax Implications
- COVID-19: Commercial & Contractual Litigation Disputes
- COVID-19 Response Resource Center
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Akron Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Listed by Best Lawyers in America® (2003–2020)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004–2020), as voted by his peers
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Business Edition® for Trusts and Estates Law (2015)
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Akron Tax Law (2015)
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Tax Law (2014)
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Akron Corporate Law (2009)
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel® for Tax (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
Juris Doctor, with honors, 1990
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, 1990
Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
Bachelor of Science, 1983
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Trustee, Jewish Community Board of Akron
- Trustee, Akron-Canton Regional Food Bank Foundation
- Graduate, Leadership Ohio
- Completed C.P.A. Examination