John Hill is a partner in the Cleveland office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice.
Mr. Hill is known for his uncommon level of jury trial experience for a commercial litigator. He has tried dozens of complex cases to jury verdicts, involving claims of fraud, fiduciary duty, business interference and breach of contract, amongst other issues. He has served as a “last minute” trial consultant to lawyers and their clients. He frequently teaches law students and practicing lawyers about jury selection and other trial techniques.
Mr. Hill frequently represents hospitals, physicians, lawyers and other professionals in litigation in state and federal courts. He also serves as a board room advisor to companies of all sizes, helping them to resolve corporate governance issues and to manage business problems that could result in litigation.
Mr. Hill is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell and has been recognized and honored for many years by Best Lawyers in America, Ohio Super Lawyers and other peer ratings.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Complex Business & Commercial Litigation
- COVID-19: Commercial & Contractual Litigation Disputes
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Awards & Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2020), in three distinct categories: commercial litigation, “Bet-the-Company” litigation and personal injury.
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2005-2020), as voted by his peers.
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in the Akron area (2016, 2018).
- Recognized in Ohio Super Lawyers® Top 100 (2016).
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Business Litigation (2015).
- Named by Best Lawyers in America® as ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in “Bet-the-Company” litigation (2010).
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
Juris Doctor, 1987
Gannon University, Erie, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts, 1984
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Serves as guest lecturer on jury selection techniques at the University of Akron School of Law's Summer Trial Institute.
- Serves as invited faculty member at National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) three-day seminar for lawyers seeking instruction regarding deposition skills.