Brian J. Pokrywka is a partner in the Cincinnati and Lexington offices of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the General Liability and Transportation Practices. He is admitted to practice in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Brian’s practice focuses on the defense of serious personal injury claims including: transportation and trucking, products liability, wrongful death, mass tort, and premises liability. His experience includes defending commercial vehicle transportation claims from post-accident investigation through litigation and trial. He regularly works with motor carriers and their insurers to investigate accident facts, manage risk and exposure, and to defend and protect their interests in litigation. Brian has taken several cases to trial, including multiple wrongful death cases. He has also worked on several catastrophic motor vehicle accidents that have garnered national media coverage.
Brian has also defended a number of product liability claims, including: heavy truck, construction, and industrial equipment manufacturers; vehicle dealers; and rental equipment suppliers. In addition, Brian litigates a variety of other matters such as premises liability, mass tort, and other insurance defense related cases.
Brian has been recognized by Super Lawyers® as an Ohio Rising Star in civil litigation defense since 2017.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Claims Litigation Management
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Project
Awards & Honors
Recognized by Super Lawyers® as an Ohio Rising Star in civil litigation defense, 2017–2018
- "Combatting Plaintiffs' Reptilian Tactics in Commercial Vehicle, Premises Liability, Products Liability, and Medical Malpractice Cases," Strafford Webinars, 2019
- "Commercial Transportation Technology: Accident Investigation, Claim Handling, and Litigation," NAMIC Claims Conference, Orlando 2018
University of Cincinnati College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2012
University of Toledo
Bachelor of Business Administration, 2009
- Baker v. Swift Trans. Co. of Arizona, LLC, No. 2:17-CV-909, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 75961, (S.D. Ohio May 4, 2018) (Drafted and obtained dismissal of negligent hiring, training, retention, and supervision claims against motor carrier defendant, and dismissal of punitive damages claims).
- M.T. v. Saum, 7 F. Supp. 3d 701 (W.D. Ky. 2014) (In multi-plaintiff bus-rollover case, won summary judgment for defendant company that brokered and chartered motor coach trip on plaintiffs’ claims under Kentucky Consumer Protection Act).
- "Resolving Insurance Claim Disputes Before Trial," American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (ABA Book Publishing, 2018) (Contributor)
- "Rein in the 'reptile' at Trial: Strategies for More Effective Motions in Limine," DRI For the Defense (December 2017) (Co-authored)
- "Truck EDR Data -- Strategies to Limit Plaintiffs' Event-Counter Evidence", DRI For The Defense (December 2016) (Co-authored)
- “A Motor Carrier’s Preservation Obligations After an Accident: Beyond the ‘Save Everything’ Approach,” Trucking Industry Defense Association 2012 Annual Seminar (Co-authored)