David Luck is a partner in the Miami office of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the Appellate Practice. David focuses on appeals and appellate trial support in federal court, Florida state court, and various jurisdictions in which he has been admitted pro hac vice. He has argued appeals in the United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Florida Supreme Court, and Florida's District Courts of Appeal.
David's areas of concentration include products liability, general liability, commercial litigation, insurance coverage and alleged bad faith, and personal-injury defense.
In addition to handling appeals, he provides pre-trial, trial, and post-trial civil litigation support in federal and Florida state court, including drafting and arguing complex pre-trial motions, case-dispositive motions, jury instructions and verdict forms, and post-trial motions.
David frequently publishes and speaks on matters pertaining to developments and changes in appellate litigation. He is a member of the Florida Bar's Appellate Court Rules Committee, the American Bar Association, the Dade County Bar Association, and the Dade County Defense Bar Association.
David has been selected as a finalist for the Miami Daily Business Review's Most Effective Lawyers Award and has been chosen for inclusion as a Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2013-2018.
Before entering private practice, David served as a law clerk to Florida Supreme Court Justice R. Fred Lewis (2007-09) and as a legal intern to Judge David L. Levy on Florida's Third District Court of Appeal (2005).
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Chair, Original Proceedings Subcommittee of the Florida Bar Appellate Court Rules Committee
- Member, The Florida Bar Appellate Court Rules Committee
- Member, the American Bar Association
- Member, the Dade County Bar Association
- Member, the Dade County Defense Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013–2018)
- Finalist, Miami Daily Business Review's Most Effective Lawyers Award (2015)
- Presenter, An Update on SCOTUS Personal-Jurisdiction Precedent, A.B.A. Regional Appellate Meeting, Miami, FL (Spring 2017).
- Presenter, "A Brief Primer on Recent SCOTUS Personal-Jurisdiction Precedent," Dade County Defense Bar Association, Miami (June 29, 2016).
- Presenter, "Recent Developments in Personal Jurisdiction," Third Annual Appellate Forum for Trial Lawyers, Miami, FL (October 23, 2015).
- Presented analysis and summary of the Supreme Court's decision in National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, 132 S. Ct. 2566 (2012), upholding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ("ObamaCare") for the ABA Young Lawyers Division Teleconference on 2011-12 Decisions of the United States Supreme Court, (July 13, 2012).
University of Miami School of Law
Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, 2007
- Order of the Barristers
- Order of the Coif
- Law Review
- Moot Court
Florida State University
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2004
- Co-Author, "A Brief Overview of Recent Supreme Court Precedent — Keeping Foreign Litigation at Bay," 83 Def. Couns. J. 460 (Oct. 2016).
- "Standing Committee Approves Proposed Revised Rule 37(e)," ABA Section of Litigation, Products Liability, News & Developments (June 2014).
- Co-Author, "Advertencia: Florida Silent on Duty to Warn in Spanish," American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Product Liability Committee Newsletter, Vol. 24, No. 1 (Winter 2013).
- "A Legal Guessing Game: Does U.S. Common Law Require Manufacturers and Suppliers of Consumer Products to Warn in Languages Other Than English?" The Defense Counsel, International Association of Defense Counsel (Apr. 2012).
- Co-Author, "The Federal Character of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act," 65 U. Miami L. Rev. 1083 (Summer 2011).
- Co-Author, "A Sea of Confusion: Expert Legal Testimony Adrift in Florida," The Florida Bar Journal, Vol. 85, No. 1 (Jan. 2011).
- Co-Author, "A Work Product Overview in Light of Federal Rule of Evidence 502," The Florida Bar Topics in Evidence seminar in Tampa, FL (Mar. 4, 2010). Co-Author, 'Toward a More 'Convenient' Standard of Review in Cases Involving Forum Non Conveniens Issues," The Florida Bar Journal (Jan. 2010).
- Co-Author, "A Practitioner's Introduction to Prompt Payment Statutes," CONSTRUCT! — A.B.A. Constr. Litig. Comm. Publ'n, at 1, 17 (Summer 2006).
- Case Note Author, "Guns, Drugs, and . . . Federalism? — Gonzales v. Raich Enfeebles the Rehnquist Court's Lopez-Morrison Framework," 61 U. Miami L. Rev. 237 (2006).
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
David regularly accepts criminal pro-bono appeals, including in the Florida Supreme Court.