James E. Murphy is a partner in the Las Vegas office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. His experience includes product liability defense such as heavy equipment, vehicles, tires, electrical equipment, medical devices, industrial machinery, and various consumer products. He has handled trucking and transportation claims including rollovers as well as mass toxic exposures involving stachybotrys (mold) and pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Murphy has litigated numerous professional liability claims on behalf of attorneys, engineers, veterinarians, and health care professionals. He serves as private arbitrator handling injury and other disputes for private binding arbitration. Mr. Murphy has tried cases before juries and before judges.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- General Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- COVID-19: Insurance Coverage
U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, State Bar of Nevada, Committee on Character and Fitness.
- The Committee on Character and Fitness is a subcommittee of the Board of Bar Examiners as per Nevada Supreme Court Rule 49(3), making recommendations to the Nevada Supreme Court, pursuant to requirements of Nevada Supreme Court Rule 51
- Member, State Bar of Nevada, LVA Fee Dispute Committee.
- Settling attorney client fee disputes either through mediation or arbitration.
- Appointed Attorney Arbitrator, Court Annexed Mandatory Arbitration Program.
- Selected by the Nevada Supreme Court to serve as a Court Appointed Attorney Arbitrator for cases heard in the Court Annexed Arbitration Program governed by the Nevada Rules of Arbitration. Appointed as Arbitrator in more than 90 separate cases
William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas
Juris Doctor, 2003
University of Nevada Las Vegas
Master of Arts, United States History, 2000
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Bachelor of Arts, History of Art, 1997
- George L. Brown Ins. Agency, Inc. v. Star Ins. Co., 237 P.3d 92 (Nev. 2010)
- Farmers Ins. Exch. v. Lawless, 680 F. Supp. 2d 1238 (D. Nev. 2010)
- Schuck v. Signature Flight Support of Nev., Inc., 245 P.3d 542 (Nev. 2010)
- Mid-Century Ins. Co. v. Wells, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 28156 (D. Nev. Mar. 5, 2014)
- Recently obtained a 3.9 Million Award in the American Arbitration Association on behalf of a national medical services company against a former COO/CFO that violated his covenant not to compete.
- Successfully obtained Dismissal of an appeal before the Nevada Supreme Court on behalf of an attorney on the grounds that the appellant no longer owned the rights on appeal.
- Obtained a dismissal of an attorney malpractice action for gross discovery misconduct following a two day evidentiary hearing.
Certificate Holder, 40 Hour Basic Mediation Essentials, Saltman Center for Dispute Resolution, William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Children’s Attorney Project, Volunteer CAP attorney, 2013