Gabriel Racine Judd
Gabriel (Gabe) Judd is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Coverage, Bad Faith Litigation, School Districts and Municipalities, Labor & Employment, and General Liability Practices.
Mr. Judd has considerable courtroom experience defending insurance companies in coverage and extra-contractual matters, and successfully tried to verdict, as lead counsel, first party insurance coverage and bad faith cases.
He also focuses his practice in defending municipalities in general liability, employment, and civil rights actions, handling a wide range of premise, discrimination and police misconduct matters. He has extensive civil litigation experience, and successfully defended matters pending both in Illinois state and federal courts and before the Illinois Human Rights Commission.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Insurance Coverage
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Young Lawyers Division (2008-present)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (IDC)
- Member of the Insurance, Local Government, and Employment Law Committees (2016-present)
- Chicago Lawyers 16" Softball Association
- League Commissioner (2014-present)
- Youth Guidance
- Junior Board Member (2017-present)
Awards & Honors
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" (Insurance Coverage) by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014-2017
- Recognized as "Top Attorneys - Illinois' Outstanding Young Lawyers - 2014" by Chicago Magazine in February 2015
- Serves as Moot Court Judge for John Marshall School of Law semi-annual Dean Fred F. Herzog Moot Court Competitions (2016-present)
- Regularly presents at and participates as legal counsel for Moot Court exam portion for the Fire/Arson Investigator program administered by the Department of Justice, Department of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and the Department of Homeland Security (Spring 2016 - present)
Florida Coastal School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2007
Chicago-Kent College of Law
visiting student, 2007
Bachelor of Arts in History, 2003
- Authored, "First District Narrowly Defines 'Access' Provision to the Employee Credit Privacy Act" - 2016 IDC Employment Law Survey
- Authored, "Summary Judgment Affirmed for City in Negligent Maintenance of Parkway Case Premised on Constructive Notice" - 2016 IDC Local Government Law Survey
- Co-authored, 2015 ALFA Labor & Employment Law Compendium (Illinois Section)
- Authored, "Illinois Discovery Rule - Onus on the Insured to Know the Terms and Liability Limits of their Policy" - Spring 2014 NSPII News
- Authored, "Ramos v. City of Chicago: Basic Principals of Reasonable Suspicion and Probable Cause Reaffirmed by Seventh Circuit" - Winter 2013, Johnson & Bell Municipal Newsletter
- Co-authored, 2013 ALFA Labor & Employment Law Compendium (Illinois Section)
- Wanda Comein, et al. v. City of Country Club Hills, et al. (ND Ill. 2017)(successfully defended municipality in employment discrimination matter arising from budgetary dispute and eventual elimination of former employee's positions)
- Candice Sankarsingh v. Allstate Indemnity Company (1st Dist 2016)(successfully tried to defense verdict for national insurer at jury trial in breach of contract and bad faith case after insurer denied Plaintiff's residential fire loss claim pursuant to the Intentional Acts and Concealment or Fraud provisions of the insurer's insurance policy).
- Estate of Christine Anderson v. Allstate Indemnity Company (1st Dist. 2016)(successfully tried to defense verdict for national insurer at 2-week bench trial in breach of contract case after insurer denied the insured's residential fire loss pursuant to Concealment or Fraud policy exclusion, and subsequently died before discovery).