Christopher Bakes is a partner who practices in the offices of Lewis Brisbois on both coasts – Los Angeles, New York, Sacramento, and San Francisco. Admitted to practice in California, New York and the District of Columbia, he is a member of Lewis Brisbois’ Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice. Chris is recognized nationally for the breadth and depth of his practice, the high profile of his cases, matters and transaction, and the results he has obtained in a range of industries, from tech and entertainment to construction and real estate.
As a trial lawyer, Christopher has represented the largest companies in the world, doing so in courts across California and the United States. He has litigated information technology and intellectual property disputes, health care contracts, government contracts and contracting, actions involving significant federal and state statutes, research and development (R&D) contracts, and major construction and real estate development contracts. He has litigated multiple matters of first impression in both state and federal courts, and is known for the size, complexity and high-profile of his cases.
Christopher’s representation of individuals includes large and complex headline cases, ranging from representation of creative talent in the entertainment industry to elected officeholders and C-level executives.
Christopher is also committed to the development and formation of new attorneys. He is an invited faculty member at the New York State Bar Association’s Trial Academy, held annually at Cornell University. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association.
Christopher is a former United States Navy JAG officer, serving both in the continental United States (San Diego) as a trial defense counsel in general and special courts-martial, and with Allied Forces South (Italy), as Staff Judge Advocate onboard USS Orion (AS-18), serving both the ship and Commander Submarine Group Eight (Naples). Christopher received his military legal training at the Naval Justice School, Newport, Rhode Island.
Primary Area(s) of Practice
- Complex Business & Commercial Litigation
- COVID-19: Commercial & Contractual Litigation Disputes
District of Columbia
United States Supreme Court
All California Districts
Southern District of New York
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Bar Association
- The Federalist Society
Awards & Honors
- American Jurisprudence Award
- Navy Achievement Medal
University of San Francisco
University of San Francisco
Bachelor of Arts, Economics
United States Navy Military Justice School
- United States Navy
- Locke Lord LLP
Officer, Judge Advocate General's Corps., United States Navy
- Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula
- Cristo Rey High School
- All Hallows Concerts
- Chair, Cristo Rey High School Sacramento Feasibility Study
- Founding Board President, Cristo Rey High School, Sacramento
- Lead counsel, Watson v. Perry (Secretary of the Navy)
- Board member, East Palo Alto Boys and Girls Club
- Chair, music literacy programs for poor and marginalized communities in Sacramento
- Volunteer, jobs and employment outreach, Alemany Projects, San Francisco
- Volunteer, youth outreach, Visitacion Valley Projects and neighborhoods, San Francisco
- Volunteer, attorneys’ and legal professionals’ reading literacy program for poor and marginalized youth, San Mateo County
- Facilitator and volunteer, campaign to preserve and restore Catholic elementary education in marginalized communities in Sacramento and the rural Central Valley
- Member, School Board, Diocese of Sacramento