Lewis Brisbois is one of the premier defense firms in the healthcare field. Our Healthcare Practice now numbers in excess of 100 attorneys nationwide. We are one of the largest firms in the United States in this practice area. We have some of the most experienced and well-respected trial attorneys in the nation, many of whom are members and have served as officers in such organizations as The American Board of Trial Advocates, American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and American Inns of Court. Our litigators include a number of former healthcare practitioners who have a special understanding of the circumstances facing their colleagues when confronted with malpractice and licensing litigation. Our litigation team includes a pharmacist licensed in California and Nevada, a nuclear medicine technologist, nurses, law school faculty members, medical school instructors, and writers and lecturers in a wide variety of medical issues.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Department regularly represent healthcare providers in administrative law hearings regarding licensing issues. Representative clients include professionals from Longs Drug Stores, Raley’s, Thrifty and Payless Drug Stores, Sierra Pharmacy, and numerous physicians and mental health counselors.
The firm’s Healthcare Department has been active in the defense of numerous mental healthcare providers, including cases of sexual misconduct, recovered memory, and dual relationships.
Attorneys in the Healthcare Department also represent a number of health care facilities including acute care hospitals, convalescent and skilled nursing care facilities, free standing clinics, and surgery centers. Our experience has been with a wide range of issues including nursing care/nursing assessment, chain of command, emergency department care, intensive and critical care units, operating room, labor and delivery informed consent, slip and fall and other general personal injury liability, premise liability and security and safety issues, staff privileging issues (ELAM), Medical Staff Bylaws, transfer of patients to other facilities (The federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act and state law), and medical records.
The Department has defended the Regents of the University of San Diego and the County of Los Angeles in AIDS/blood bank contamination matters. We have successfully defended facilities in cases involving Alpha Fetaprotein, Hepatitis, and venereal disease testing.
The firm has represented numerous medical laboratories in failure to diagnose, inadequate testing, and genetic testing cases. These cases involve erroneous reports of sexually transmitted diseases, misinterpretation of tests, failure to perform genetics testing, and drug testing issues.
Related News & Publications
- August 15, 2019 Legislative Alert: New York Expands Data Breach Obligations for Credit Reporting Agencies
- August 12, 2019 Legislative Alert: New York Amends Its Data Breach Notification Law
- August 09, 2019 In California, Now Even Hair Is Protected
- August 23, 2019 Leiza Dolghih, Gene Kaskiw to Present at International Bar Association Annual Meeting in South Korea
- August 23, 2019 Charles Cole to Present on Courtroom Tactics at IADC Annual Meeting
- August 22, 2019 Lewis Brisbois Strengthens East Coast Network, Med Mal Practice with New Roanoke, Va. Office
Webinars & Seminars
- August 29, 2019 • Seminar Lewis Brisbois’ 2019 Sacramento Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar
- September 19, 2019 • General Webinar Series The Duty to Defend – What Every Claim Representative Needs to Know
- October 10, 2019 • Seminar Lewis Brisbois’ 2019 Los Angeles Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar