For more than 40 years, Lewis Brisbois has specialized in interpreting insurance contracts and representing insurers in complex coverage claims and extra-contractual litigation. That includes litigating bad faith and declaratory relief suits in state and federal courts, handling arbitrations, acting as monitoring counsel and joining mediations as coverage counsel throughout the United States.
Today, Lewis Brisbois has one of the largest insurance practices in the United States, with more than 100 lawyers specializing in insurance law. As our clients will attest, we have grown to such prominence because first, we provide clear, objective advice regarding our clients’ rights and obligations under their policies and second, if a coverage or claim handling dispute enters litigation, we defend our clients’ positions vigorously, creatively and efficiently.
Our attorneys' experience and knowledge encompass a wide variety of insurance matters including:
coverage under general liability, professional liability, homeowners, auto, title, disability, accident and health, life, jeweler’s block, inland marine, multi-peril business and customized (manuscript) policies;
coverage related to intellectual property (including patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, licenses and trade secrets) and arising out of “advertising injury” or “personal injury” policy provisions (including defamation, disparagement and invasion of privacy);
coverage for employment practices including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination, federal Title VII and EEOC, State Fair Employment and Housing Act, employment contract claims and age discrimination claims;
coverage related to construction defect litigation, including land subsidence and related problems;
coverage disputes arising out of national products liability litigation;
coverage issues related to pollution and toxic tort claims (e.g., CERCLA claims by state and local environmental authorities), and claims among private parties;
coverage under Directors and Officers policies;
coverage related to Errors and Omissions policies, including policies issued to lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and real estate agents;
claims involving interpretation of excess and umbrella policies, including “drop down” issues;
fee arbitrations against “independent counsel” selected by insureds; and
policy drafting and insurance forms drafting.
National Coordinating Chair
- Bad Faith Litigation
- Directors & Officers Coverage
- First Party Property
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Regulatory & Compliance
- Pollution Legal Liability/Environmental Impairment Liability (PLL/EIL)
- September 27, 2022 Three Key Employment Law Considerations for Film Studios and Production Companies
- September 22, 2022 Pennsylvania Federal Court Dismisses Religious Discrimination Class Action Challenge to Healthcare Employer’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine, Testing Requirements
- September 20, 2022 Wire Transfer Fraud – Can Funds Be Recovered?
- September 26, 2022 Lewis Brisbois Celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month 2022
- September 23, 2022 Gregory Tumolo to Present at RI SHRM Inaugural Employment Law Summit
- September 23, 2022 Taaj Robinson Named to The National Black Lawyers’ “Top 40 Under 40” List
Seminars & Webinars
- October 20, 2022 • General Webinar Series Nuclear Verdicts: Causes & Prevention
- November 17, 2022 • General Webinar Series OSHA & Workers’ Compensation
- December 15, 2022 • General Webinar Series Ethics II: Project Construction & Potential Litigation