For more than 35 years, Lewis Brisbois has specialized in interpreting insurance contracts of all kinds and in representing insurers in complex coverage claims and extra-contractual litigation. Such representation includes monitoring, mediations, arbitrations and declaratory relief litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Today, Lewis Brisbois has one of the largest insurance practices in the United States, with more than 100 lawyers across the country specializing in insurance law. As our clients will attest, there are reasons for this growth. First, we provide clear, objective advice when our clients’ rights and obligations under their policies are challenged. Second, if a coverage or claim handling dispute enters litigation, we defend our clients’ position vigorously, creatively and efficiently.
Our attorneys' experience and knowledge encompass a wide variety of insurance matters including:
- Insurance coverage related to general liability, professional liability, homeowners, title, disability, accident and health, life, jeweler’s block, inland marine, multi-peril business and customized (manuscript) policies;
- Insurance coverage for employment practices including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination, federal Title VII and EEOC, State Fair Employment and Housing Act, employment contract claims and age discrimination claims;
- Insurance coverage related to construction defect litigation, including coverage issues arising out of land subsidence and related problems;
- Insurance coverage disputes arising out of national products liability litigation;
- Insurance coverage related to pollution and toxic tort claims, such as CERCLA claims by state and local environmental authorities, and claims by private parties against one another;
- Insurance coverage related to intellectual property litigation (including patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, licenses and trade secrets) and arising out of “advertising injury” or “personal injury” policy provisions (including defamation, disparagement and invasion of privacy);
- Insurance coverage with respect to rights and obligations of parties under directors and officers liability policies;
- Insurance coverage related to errors and omissions policies, including policies issued to lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and real estate agents;
- Claims involving interpretation of excess and umbrella policies, including “drop down” issues;
- Interpleader actions;
- Monitoring of, and fee arbitrations against “independent counsel” selected by insureds;
- Policy drafting and insurance forms drafting.
- We represent major insurers and their policyholders in real estate and title disputes and litigation. We defend title insurers against extra-contractual claims and litigation. We are members of the California Land Title Association (CLTA) and have represented CLTA and American Land Title Association as amicus curiae in appellate matters.
- We have represented statutory authorities and associations of insurers, such as the California FAIR Plan Association, the California Insurance Guaranty Association and the California Earthquake Authority.
National Coordinating Chair
Related News & Publications
- Bad Faith Litigation
- Directors & Officers Coverage
- First Party Property
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Regulatory & Compliance
- Pollution Legal Liability/Environmental Impairment Liability (PLL/EIL)
- July 02, 2020 How Employers Can Best Accommodate Working Parents During COVID-19 & Avoid Discrimination Claims
- June 30, 2020 Fictitious Business Names on Wage Statements: An Invitation for Penalties in California
- June 24, 2020 Common Law Claims for Wrongful Termination Based on a Claimed Violation of Public Policy: Five Tips for Employers to Avoid Liability
- July 07, 2020 Christopher Ballod Quoted in Corporate Counsel Article on Alternative Communications Platforms
- July 06, 2020 Lewis Brisbois Expands Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Capabilities in Ohio and California with New Partner Hires
- July 06, 2020 Bill Helfand to Speak on Tort Claims at Texas State Bar Advanced Personal Injury Course
Seminars & Webinars
- July 16, 2020 • General Webinar Series Insurance Fraud
- August 20, 2020 • General Webinar Series Social Media & Litigation
- August 20, 2020 • Seminar 2020 Sacramento Employment & Workers’ Compensation Law Seminar