- Email: John.Yung@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 916.646.8288
- Fax: 916.564.5444
John Yung is a partner in the Sacramento office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Corporate Practice. John focuses his practice on corporate, securities, and international business matters, with particular emphasis on assisting Chinese companies in accessing the U.S. capital markets. With more than a decade in representing publicly traded and private companies, John has extensive experience in a variety of financing transactions including venture capital financing, private equity financings, secured debt, public offerings, PIPEs, follow-on and secondary financings.
In addition, John assists private and public companies in a wide variety of matters including establishment of a representative office or wholly-foreign owned enterprise (WFOE) in China, fund formation, joint ventures, due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, cross border transactions and intellectual property rights and licensing. John also represents clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) in connection with cross border mergers and acquisitions.
John understands the challenges that his clients face in managing a business, from navigating the complex legal environment to reconciling the differences in business culture between regions such as the U.S. and Asia. With that understanding, he plays strategic role to his clients as a trusted advisor by providing sound legal and result-oriented solutions to his clients’ problems.
State Bar Admissions
- United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Supreme Court of the United States
- Selected as top lawyer in region by Sacramento Magazine for Intellectual Property (2016)
- Zhongguancun Listed Companies Association
- National Business Information Center (Founding Officer, Inactive)
- Asian/Pacific Bar Association of Sacramento (Former Board Member)
- CalAsian Chamber of Commerce (Board Member)
- Sacramento County Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Monte Jade Science and Technology Association
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
Juris Doctor with distinction, 1998
University of California, Los Angeles
Bachelor of Arts, 1992
- Represented one of the largest US electrical contractor companies in connection with its reorganization and fairness hearing in front of the California Department of Corporation pursuant to Section 3(a)(10) of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and California Corporations Code Section 25142.
- Represented an enterprise application software company in connection with a $50 million shelf offering registered with the SEC for future acquisitions
- Represented a publicly held satellite communications company in connection with an underwriting of corporate bonds for the construction and launch of its constellation of low earth orbiting satellites
- Represented a venture-backed privately held media company in connection with three rounds of venture capital investments
- Represented a publicly held enterprise application software company in connection with its acquisition of another publicly held enterprise application software company (manufacturing) in a cash out merger transaction
- Represented a publicly held enterprise application software company in connection with the acquisition of the enterprise application software assets (hospitality) of another publicly held company in an asset purchase transaction for cash in seven different countries
- Represented a publicly held enterprise application software company in connection with the acquisition of a privately held enterprise application software company (point of sale) in an asset purchase transaction for cash
- Represented a venture-backed privately held visual display systems integrator with international operations in a SEC registered merger transaction with another visual display systems integrator
- Represented a venture-backed privately held media company in connection with its sale to a publicly held national broadcasting company in a cash out merger transaction
- Represented a publicly held software and information technology company in connection with its sale of its assets to a healthcare software and information technology company
- Represented U.S. companies in connection with operations, foreign direct investments in China and the establishment of Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprises under Chinese law
- Represented U.S. companies in connection with license and distribution agreements in China, Japan, and South Korea
- Represented a China-based microfinance company with a direct listing onto the NYSE American pursuant to a backdoor listing process and reorganization.
- Represented a Chinese environmental technology and water treatment company in its acquisition of the water technologies division in the United States and South America of a leading engineering and services group. The total net proceeds of the sale will be approximately 200 million euros
- Counsel for a Chinese listed public company in securing CFIUS approval for the acquisition of a U.S. manufacturing company
- Represented a Chinese listed public company in the acquisition of a U.S. real estate holding company.
- Represented a buyer group in a going private transaction of a U.S. public company
- Represented a China-based polyurethane manufacturer in the shoe and garment industry in connection with its registration with the SEC as a public company under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Represented a China-based refractory company in connection with its registration with the SEC as a public company under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Represented a China-based pharmaceutical company in connection with its SEC compliance and reporting matters
- Represented a China-based medical device company in connection with its SEC compliance and reporting matters
- Represented a China-based financial media company in connection with its SEC compliance and reporting matters
- Represented China-based companies in connection with joint ventures with U.S. companies
- Represented China-based companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions of U.S. companies
- Represented China-based companies in connection with the acquisition of U.S. intellectual property and assets
- Represented China-based companies in connection with investments in the U.S.
- Represented a China-based public company in connection with SEC investigations and enforcement proceedings