- Email: Christopher.Wood@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2056
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Chris Wood is a partner in the Denver and Washington, D.C. offices of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the Antitrust & Competition and the Government Investigations Practices. He possesses 20 years of practice experience, with expertise in antitrust matters, complex and commercial litigation, and government investigations. Chris represents plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal proceedings, spanning domestic and international markets, regulated and unregulated industries. Before joining the firm's Denver office, Chris practiced in another Mountain West state, Utah, providing legal counseling and consulting services.
Chris litigates complex disputes, primarily antitrust and competition law cases, ranging from private party clashes, to class actions, and opt-out proceedings. Chris also focuses on commercial matters, managing and handling all phases of business litigation, with an emphasis on expert discovery. He defends corporations, including Fortune 500 companies, and individuals in federal and state investigations. Chris’ antitrust and investigations work concentrates on business conduct, particularly behavior relating to industry/market competition and trade practices. Beyond his broad litigation skill set, Chris's extensive practice experience enables him to provide substantive and effective counseling, training, and tailored audits for clients seeking to successfully navigate the antitrust and fair trade risks inherent in day-to-day operations.
Related Legal Alerts
- January 03, 2019 Antitrust Compliance – Proceed Cautiously When Sharing Information
- February 07, 2018 U.S. Antitrust Enforcers Actively Targeting Agreements Between Competitors In Employment Markets That Restrict Competition For Employees
- October 31, 2017 Third Circuit Imposes Daunting Standard To Prove Oligopolistic Price Fixing Via Circumstantial Evidence, But Manufacturers Must Still Tread Carefully When Setting Their Prices
- October 04, 2017 Federal Appeals Court Vacates a $147M Jury Award Based on Comity Principles
- May 16, 2018 UPDATE: ITC Opens Investigation into Anticompetitive Practices
- May 04, 2018 Chris Wood Named Chair of CBA Antitrust Subsection
- April 30, 2018 ITC Opens Investigation into Anticompetitive Practices
- Antitrust counsel for complainant in ITC Investigation 337-TA-1105, alleging violations of Section 337 of the Tariff Act premised upon various asserted violations of the Sherman Act arising from both horizontal and vertical conduct associated with respondent’s distribution model and related market practices.
- Co-counsel for putative class alleging manufacturer/OEM vertical and horizontal conspiracies in violation of sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
- Counsel for automotive parts manufacturers in Third Circuit litigation. After three years of pre-trial proceedings, prevailed at trial on all counts pertaining to liability, including monopolization and a violation of the Clayton Act. Case settled on the eve of damages trial for $500 million.
- Defended carrier in class litigation alleging violations of federal antitrust law and carrier regulations. Class claims favorably settled.
- Co-counsel for electronics retailers and mobile telephone providers in direct action litigation alleging Sherman 1 violations, and for certain clients, breaches of contract.
- Represented chemicals company in DOJ criminal investigation pertaining to sales of polychloroprene and ethylene propylene diene monomer, and served as settlement counsel resolving associated federal and state, direct and indirect, class and opt-out litigation.
- Defended construction contractor in criminal investigation and related False Claims Act action alleging bid rigging on international building projects. Matter concluded with no findings of liability or imposition of criminal fine against client.
- Advised client on enhancements to corporate compliance policies regarding Sherman Act and ethics practices, developed associated training program, and presented same to multiple business units.
- Served telecomm entity in a series of successful industry acquisitions in which governmental authorities issued HSR second requests and other demands for information.
- Defended polyester staple supplier in criminal antitrust investigation and civil litigation. Matter resolved with U.S. government via negotiation whereby cooperation provided in exchange for corporate leniency/amnesty, and employed "first out" settlements with federal and state class plaintiffs to quickly limit and terminate client exposure.
- Developed and instituted comprehensive records and personnel audit to assess legality of client's business practices vis-à-vis horizontal competitors, leading to revision and enhancement of corporate ethics/code of conduct protocols.
- Defended client in criminal, "three strikes" felony trial. Jury hung on all counts leading to release for time served.
- Represented international technologies company in backdating SEC investigation involving rogue executive conduct.
Served as a director for Legal Transformation Institute, designing business models and funding mechanisms for lawyer/non-lawyer entrepreneurs/intrapreneurs seeking to deliver cost-effective legal services and products.
Chris is dedicated to his trade and clients, but does make time to recreate. Chances are, if not in the office, you'll find him in the mountains, skiing in the winter and mountain or road biking during other months.
Co-Presenter, “Antitrust Law: Competition Matters,” Colorado Bar Association, Business Law Institute, September 2018. Christopher presented on the topic: “Antitrust Law: Competition Matters” at the 2018 Business Law Institute held at the Denver Ritz-Carlton on September 13, 2018. Presentation covered a range of antitrust matters including: merger enforcement; non-solicitation agreements; product importation as it relates to the FTAIA and comity principles; and pricing algorithms/scraping. ”
State Bar Admissions
- District of Columbia
United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Colorado Bar Association
- Chair, CBA Antitrust Subsection
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Business Law Section Executive Board
College of William & Mary
Juris Doctor, Law Foundation Scholar, 1994
Washington & Lee University
Bachelor of Arts, Politics, Phi Beta Kappa, 1990