- Email: Chris.White@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 214.722.7101
- Fax: 214.722.7111
Chris White is the managing partner of the firm’s Dallas office and co-chair of the Professional Liability Practice. Chris also serves on the national CLM Management and Professional Liability Advisory Board. He focuses his practice on professional liability (lawyers, design professionals, real estate agents, insurance agents, and brokers), directors and officers’ liability, insurance coverage and bad faith, and transportation. Chris defends insurers and their insureds in civil litigation in state and federal courts through trial and appeal, and has practiced before courts in Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Delaware, North Carolina and New Jersey. He has represented insurers in over 300 coverage investigations and disputes under both third-party and first-party policies, and has defended insurers in litigation alleging breach of contract and the duty to defend, bad faith, improper claims handling, Stowers liability, Insurance Code violations, Deceptive Trade Practices and failure to adequately reserve rights. As a result of this experience, clients have asked Chris to draft policy wordings and endorsements for multiple third-party and first-party policies in both existing lines and development of new products.
Chris also provides crisis management, risk assessment, risk management and resolution strategy services for insurers and businesses responding to high-exposure litigation, catastrophic accidents, environmental releases and international disputes involving both U.S. and English jurisdiction. He is also experienced in claims involving cancellation, including a 2001 claim for cancellation of the Latin Grammy Awards following the attacks on the U.S. on 9/11.
When a catastrophic incident occurred, shutting down an airport, over 100 businesses, schools, roads and evacuating thousands of people from their homes, Chris was sent in to coordinate the response and manage the resulting exposure and litigation. The clients’ trust was rewarded when five class actions, toxic tort allegations and a wrongful death suit all closed with payments and costs totaling one-third of the clients’ initial estimates. In addition, he pursued claims against responsible third parties leading to further recoveries for his clients.
Early in his legal career, Chris spent two years in the London insurance market seconded as in-house counsel for a Lloyd’s syndicate. During that period, he qualified as a solicitor authorized to practice in England and Wales, as well as Texas.
During his career, Chris has represented clients at more than 100 mediations on matters with amounts in controversy of up to $1 billion.
Related Legal Alerts
- July 02, 2018 Christopher White to Speak at RLPSA Conference
- January 19, 2018 Chris White to Speak at Diversity and Leadership Conference
- Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention in Investigating and Resolving Insurance Claims, University of Houston Law Foundation (October 2004).
- Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention in a Personal Injury Practice, University of Houston Law Foundation (April 2004).
- U.S. Tort Reform Update: Reining in Runaway Juries, Seminar at Lloyd’s, London (August 2003).
- Financial Institution Civil Liability Cover - A U.S. Perspective, London Market Banks Underwriting Group (September 2000).
England and Wales
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar Association Litigation Section
- Law Society of England and Wales
College of William and Mary
Juris Doctor, 1995
Oklahoma City University
Bachelor of Arts, 1992