- Email: Alyssa.Watzman@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2052
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Alyssa Watzman is a partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Government Investigations Practice as well as the Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice. Alyssa has significant experience representing and advising multinational corporations, boards of directors, board committees, and individuals in connection with regulatory enforcement actions, government and internal investigations, whistleblower complaints, and compliance matters related to alleged violations of the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). She also has significant litigation experience and has handled matters involving the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as other regulators. Alyssa has represented client interests in numerous legal settings including during interviews, negotiations, depositions, and hearings.
In the data privacy context, Alyssa advises companies as they anticipate cybersecurity threats, assists them in complying with the requirements of state data breach notification statutes as well as various federal regulations including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and represents them as they address data security incidents and related third party civil litigation. She also facilitates forensic investigations and the provision of credit monitoring and identity restoration services to individuals whose information is impacted in data security incidents. Alyssa has experience representing private and public entities of all sizes in the health care and financial services sectors, among others. Her background in litigation and complex regulatory investigations provides her with unique insights into liabilities that emanate from data security incidents.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, Alyssa was a Litigation Associate in the New York office of an AmLaw 100 firm. She also worked as an intern at the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Labor, and for various local and national news publications. Alyssa earned her Juris Doctor from NYU School of Law in 2007 where she was a Robert McKay Scholar and a Staff Editor on the Annual Survey of American Law. She received her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Maryland in 2004.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a client whose subsidiary allegedly violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by bribing foreign government officials to secure business. Presented findings to auditors to secure financial statement approval. Advised on issues related to self-reporting.
- Managed an investigation on behalf of a Special Litigation Committee created following an accident at a company property to determine if company executives were aware of the conditions that caused the accident, breaching their fiduciary duties to shareholders. Drafted a report and presented findings to the committee.
- Served as lead counsel for a multinational company investigated by domestic and foreign regulators for alleged antitrust law violations resulting from involvement in bid rigging and price fixing.
- Represented an individual investigated for wrongdoing by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission following an investment bank’s declaration of bankruptcy.
- Participated in all aspects of complex investigations and litigations by researching and analyzing challenging legal issues. Drafted related memoranda, pleadings, motions, briefs, and findings reports.
- Conducted and drafted summaries, affidavits, and reports related to interviews with critical fact and expert witnesses. Led depositions for a pro bono client and participated in those taken in multi-billion dollar securities cases. Executed opening statements, arguments, and examinations in immigration cases.
- Coordinated discovery in numerous matters, some of which involved evidence and witnesses located abroad. Managed a large team of attorneys, negotiated with opposing counsel, coordinated with joint defense counsel, and represented client interests in discovery disputes.
- Consistently maintained a pro bono docket representing those seeking Asylum, U-Visa, and T-Visa status. Received Sanctuary for Families 2010 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Advocacy for developing a program to regularly represent U-Visa applicants.
Blog, Supreme Court Won't Reconsider Standing Principles From Spokeo, February 05, 2018
Antitrust counsel for Radwell International in an antitrust lawsuit relating to certain programmable logic controllers (PLCs) filed before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) alleging violations of Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 (Inv. No. 337-TA-1105).
- Speaker, "Anatomy of a Data Breach," 5th Annual Cyber Liability Symposium, Seattle, Washington, 8.21.19
- Speaker, "Cybersecurity: Emerging Threats & Legal Landscape," 5th Annual Cyber Liability Symposium, Seattle, Washington, 8.21.19
- Panelist, "The Future of Cyber Crime and Insurance," IMA Financial Group Techworking, Denver, Colorado, 07.18.19
- Presenter, "Cybersecurity Threats & the Legal Landscape," Network Adjusters, Denver, Colorado, 06.10.19
- Panelist, “The Anatomy of a Cyber Event,” PLUS Southwest Chapter Seminar, Denver, Colorado, 04.18.19
- Panelist, “It’s No Longer IF, It’s WHEN -- Cyber Threat Landscape and Legislative Trends,” Lockton Phoenix Inaugural Cyber Day, Phoenix, Arizona, 02.26.19
- Panelist, “Data Privacy & Cybersecurity 101,” IMA Corp., Kansas City, Kansas, 01.22.19
- Panelist, “Colorado’s New Data Privacy Law: What It Is and Its Impact on You and Your Clients,” Colorado Bar Association Financial Institutions Section, Denver, Colorado, 10.17.18
- Panelist, “How to Implement Best Practices Around Identifying, Protecting, Detecting, Responding and Recovering from a Cyber Incident,” Lockton Mountain West Cyber Day, Denver, Colorado, 10.04.18
State Bar Admissions
- New York
New York University School of Law, New York, NY
Juris Doctor, 2007
- Robert McKay Scholar (Top 25%)
- Annual Survey of American Law, Staff Editor
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2004
- Journalism, Government & Politics
- Phi Beta Kappa; Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism)
- Dean’s List (All semesters)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence
- College Park Scholars Citation (Media, Self, & Society)
- Diamondback Newspaper, Writer and Beat Reporter
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honor, Fraternity President and Committee Chair