- Email: Peter.VanZandt@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 415.262.8579
- Fax: 415.434.0882
Peter J. Van Zandt is a partner in the San Francisco office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Products Liability, General Liability and Consumer Litigation Defense & Financial Services Practices. A trial lawyer, he has practiced solely in the field of courtroom litigation for his nearly 30 year career and has tried more than 60 civil cases to verdict. Leading Insurance Companies and corporations call upon him to defend commercial business disputes, catastrophic personal injury and death cases, claims involving landslides, properly line, easement and neighbor disputes, particularly ones involving trees. He also has a depth of experience defending products liability, consumer warranty, trucking, RV, bus and automobile litigation. Many of these claims arise under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Song-Beverly Act (Lemon Law).
Peter also defends financial institutions faced with aggressive consumer class and individual actions involving claims of wrongful foreclosure and loan servicing and origination issues from claims arising under the California Home Owners Bill of Rights (HBOR), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Federal Fair Debt Collection Act (FDCPA), the California Rosenthal Act and claims under California Business and Professions code 17200 (UCL). He also has experience reaching back more than 20 years representing companies faced with consumer claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) related to the use of automatic dialing devices and claims related to the recording of consumer telephone calls (PC 632).
- Solomon v. Onyx Acceptance Corp. 222 F.R.D. 418 (2004)
- Periguerra v. Meridas Capital, Inc., CitiMortgage Inc. 2010 WL 395932 (USDC, N.D. California)
- Nelmida v. Flagstar Bank, CitiMortgage, Inc. 2012 WL 10150 (USDC, N.D. California)
- Monterossa v. Superior Court (2015) 237 Cal. App. 4th 747.
- “Upcoming Changes to CA and NV Homeowner Bill of Rights, Sunsetting and Changing Provisions for 2018” ACI 29th Annual Forum on Consumer Class Actions and Litigation, Chicago IL, July 24-25, 2017.
- “Examining Key State Nuances and Developments in Hotbed Jurisdictions such as California, Florida, New York, Illinois, Texas and Nevada,” ACI’s 14th National Forum on Residential Mortgage Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement, Washington D.C., April 24-25, 2014.
- “A Focus on Trials: Aggressively Defending Consumer Finance Cases, Stemming the Tide of Litigation and Empowering Lenders to go Back into the Courtroom.” Post-Conference Master Class on Trial Strategy, ACI’s 16th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions and Litigation, Chicago IL, July 30, 2013.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
USDC Northern District of California
USDC Southern District of California
USDC Central District of California
USDC Eastern District of California
- Association of Defense Counsel
- Mortgage Banker’s Association
- American Bar Association: Member Litigation Section
- San Francisco Superior Court: Temporary Judge Program
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Awards & Honors
Recognized by Law and Politics magazine as a Northern California Super Lawyer in Civil Litigation Defense, 2013-2019.
San Francisco School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1990
Pitzer College, Claremont, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Political Studies, 1985
PAMI Institute, University of Hawaii Manoa
Completed Program in Asian Business and Finance, 1982